Ford OEM suspension upgrade for 22" wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw someone selling a kit, that says that it is ford oem, and that it was for upgrading suspension for f150s for people with 17, 18, 20" wheels and wanted to upgraded to 22" for 08-2010 trucks.

does anyone know anything about this, like why it is necessary, is it because the rims are heavier on the 22s?

i only ask because i have a ford expedition 2011 model, and it came with 18" wheels, changed them out for harley davidson 2010 22" wheels.

the kit i saw was on e-bay,

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
rayt, send a link from e-bay of what kit you are talking about. Based on the parts that are listed/pictured, I will be able to tell you what sort of "benefits" you will get. Odds are, it is simply someone trying to play a word game and make people think that they have to get this kit if they have installed larger wheels. Honestly, the only "upgrade" I would think you would want/need is bigger rotors and a new bracket to mount the caliper further away from the hub to increase the stopping ability of the truck. The larger rims do add a measurable amount of rotating mass and going with a bigger rotor kit would make for a better handling truck.

OP
OP
R

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i figure most people with 22" wheels dont have any upgraded suspension, but doesnt hurt to figure out what this thing does.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im running 24's...i upgraded my rotors/pads from ebay for $240...eibach anti-swaybar kit $300...they stop'd making the kit so you'll have to go with hellwig...same cost but check on ebay...the last thing to do is brake lines...have to go braided steel cables...in the future...and if you really want it done right...upgrade the calipers and everything else in there...

OP
OP
R

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i actually have in my garage, the brakemotive rotors/pads
a set of ebc yellow pads i would use instead

full hellwig antisway bar set, my expy has sway bars on them stock, and is it correct to believe that the hellwig ones will be considered a upgrade even if they are the same size?

i also have a set of goodridge stainless steel lines.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Looking at what is pictured on the E-bay listing, it is sounding like a lot of hype to me. Ok, you get new shocks. Oh boy. Odds are, if there is a need for the new shocks, it is just to help minimize any chance of rubbing. But, as Freeway can attest to, you do not have to install this kit to run the bigger tires. There is some sort of bracket and from what I can tell, appears to be something for moving the spindle around a little bit. As long as you are getting the proper back spacing with your new rims, this kit is not going to make any difference to the truck.

Honestly, I would save your money and just install the tires that you are after. If you do need this kit for whatever reason, then you know where to get it. Go after the new rims and do not look back.

Freeway, I check this site every day. I do some posting, but nothing too serious. If you look, I probably post 1-2 things each day. did you ever figure out that fuel issue that you were having?