Hard shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobpa

Reaction score
I’m new here I have a ‘20 XLT with the 10 speed transmission I’ve noticed sometimes when it downshifts it is loud and clunky. It did it last night and even my wife noticed it. Just wondering if this is normal or if maybe there is a service bulletin I missed.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m new here I have a ‘20 XLT with the 10 speed transmission I’ve noticed sometimes when it downshifts it is loud and clunky. It did it last night and even my wife noticed it. Just wondering if this is normal or if maybe there is a service bulletin I missed.

There are numerous posts on this forum regarding a harsh or rough shifting 10-speed automatic transmission on the 4th generation Expedition models.

Some of the posts lists several TSB’s that Ford has issued.

You may want to do a search and some reading.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet you notice the harsh shifting up or down at lower speeds too huh? like under 25mph? It's definitely a common issue and not normal. Bring her in

Last edited:

Ugh_J

Reaction score
My experience has been, if the whole family notices, it's a lot worse than you think it is. Even if it seems "maybe a little rough" it is still likely at the level the dealer will repair under factory/ESP warranties. I had mine rebuilt at ~57k miles and then replaced with a new one at 59k. Really hoping this was the last time.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to take it in. With the exception of it not warming up completely ( sometimes can shift a little funny), once it is warmed up it should shift hard. I experience hard shifting in stop and go traffic on our way to Florida and took mine in and they replaced a module and other things. Big $$$$$ covered under warranty. Does not clunk or shift hard anymore.

VanPelt408

Reaction score
My ‘20 had a very harsh clunk when downshifting from 5th to 4th at 58k miles. The dealer “rebuilt/serviced” the valve body. Resolved my issue. It’s smooth up and down shifting for now. Covered under warranty and I also have the extended warranty.

jberry16

Reaction score
My 21 in currently awaiting a tranny tech to check on it. Shifts hard from 7 to 8. Only had it 3 days. Didn’t notice it on a test drive. Glad I got the ESP for it! Praying it’s fixed soon. Been in the shop a week. Have t looked at it yet.