Hello from a Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just joined the 4M. I usually hang out a CamaroZ28.com but I sold the Camaro when I moved back to Alaska and now all I have is the Expedition. Holding out until late next year when the 5th Gen Camaros hit the streets. Looks like there is some good info on this site.:cheers:

OP
OP
W

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bone stock 2000 XLT. White with grey leather. I want to put a supercharger on it but my wife won't let me:(

Randy

Reaction score
I'm putting together my finances right now for an Allen Supercharger for my rig. I do quite a bit of heavy towing and would like to see the added hp at the rear wheels. Pretty embarassing from a dead stop. The truck doesn't really hit it's stride until about 2800 - 3200 rpm.

OP
OP
W

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you notice any improvemnet with the CAI? Performance or mileage? I would like to put one on if it is worth it.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy
I'm putting together my finances right now for an Allen Supercharger for my rig. I do quite a bit of heavy towing and would like to see the added hp at the rear wheels. Pretty embarassing from a dead stop. The truck doesn't really hit it's stride until about 2800 - 3200 rpm.

If you go with the Allen, I'd make sure it's an M112 or larger blower.

IMHO the M90 blower that Allen used to use is too small for the 5.4. I've never seen rear-wheel HP numbers exceeed 280 on a 5.4 with an M90...they just run out of breath and intake air temps rise because they are overdriven...which hurts power and can contribute to detonation. Torque is good, though.

For comparison, an M112, which is what a Lightning uses (and can be put onto your 5.4 just as easily with a kit) will put down about 360hp to the rear wheels.

I think the Lightning blower swap is the best, most cost-effective blower for the 5.4 when you look at the reliable power that they put out.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
Pronstar,
From what i get from AED, their supercharger only comes with the M90 - they won't upgrade it to the M112. Who do i contact for a complete lightning kit?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Put some more stall in it (different torque converter) and it will take off like a completely different truck...... I wish they would have used the same converter that they use on the 4.6 on the 5.4..... it at least stalls around 2000 Rpms. The stock 5.4 converter only gives you about 1500.

Allen uses a ported M90 because it has tighter overall rotor clearance so it will build boost sooner than the bigger blower and provides a good amount of boost for a street truck. I think they will upgrade you to a twin screw blower, but you really need a built motor to take advantage of that blowing dude!
Matt R

Last edited:

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pronstar,
From what i get from AED, their supercharger only comes with the M90 - they won't upgrade it to the M112. Who do i contact for a complete lightning kit?

You buy the Lightning blower from E-Bay or from the Lightning forum classifieds, then get this kit for all you need:
http://www.madenterprise.com/scparts.htm

Mike's sold dozens of these kits, and he's always ready to help you out if you have a question. F150 forums have several walk-throughs on how to install it.

A Ford mechanic (or anyone who is mechanically inclined) can also install it, they are all Ford parts. You and a buddy can do it over a weekend.

You need a tune, and many tuners offer mail-order tunes...adding a Lightning blower has been done so many times that they all have a tune they can send to you...though a custon dyno tume is the best IMHO.

Mike started with one of these kits on his truck, though he now has Navigator 32-valve heads and a Whipple...making a lot of power.

Last edited: