Help:Steering column noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firefighter407

Reaction score
I've got a 99 expedition, When i turn the steering wheel or go over bumps it makes a creaking noise and u can feel it in the steering wheel.

I've changed all ball joints and tie rod ends. I was told it could be the itermediate shaft ( does anyone know if it's suppose to have a little play in it?)

Only other thing is when I jack up the front end on either side or if both wheels are off the ground the noise is gone.

Any sugestions?

thanks

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it make it if you "rock" the truck? I know my friend's Explorer used to creak like crazy when going over bumper, or when you rocked it. Not sure if it did it when steering...

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would pick up a can of good synthetic spray lubricant and start spraying all the bushings. I'd also make sure that every zerk fitting got a squirt of grease.

OP
OP
F

firefighter407

Reaction score
Tried rocking it and no noise, also lubed everything from balljoints to the small u- joints on the lower steeing shaft.

Finally gave up and took it in to the dealership, they said my lower steering shaft has play and also I should replace my steering box ( said it had a little play in it but it's not leaking), said it would cost me $1013 plus alignment.

I was just thinkng of getting a use shaft and hope it solves the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

rverdi

Reaction score
If you can do the shaft replacement yourself, why not just by the part new, replace it and see how it goes. 1G+ is stiff, if you have to have it done for you might do better at an indy shop.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What needs to be replaced?
SYJusenfileGG1162A_gifgenref.gif
1 - Power Steering Fluid Cooler
2 - Power Steering Pump with EVO
3 - Power Steering Oil Reservoir
4 - Steering Column Assembly
5 - Power Steering Fluid Return Hose
6 - Power Steering Reservoir Pump Hose
7 - Steering Linkage Assembly
8 - Steering Gear

OP
OP
F

firefighter407

Reaction score
In the picture #8 and the shaft that goes between #4 and #8

Ford :

$350 for the gear box, $305 for the shaft, 3hrs labour and an alignment

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From doing a quick search, it seems those are about the prices those things cost.

I can post instructions on how to do the gear box, though I'm not sure how long it would take, or how difficult it is...

EastCoast4x4

Reaction score
My question here is this:
Why, if they are telling you that your lower steering shaft needs replaced, are you replacing your gear box? The two are independant from eachother, and gearboxes VERY seldom go bad. Even if you were starting to get some play in it, rebuild kits are around $40. new seals, and possibly even a new shaft. I certainly wouldn't replace the entire box. Shaft, eh, you can certainly find a new shaft for less than that. Contact flaming river for a new shaft. They can give you a custom fit stainless steel or chrome shaft for around that. A stock one should be about half.

OP
OP
F

firefighter407

Reaction score
thanks for all the help, i picked up a used shaft from the wreckers for $40, so i'm goig to give it a shot and leave the box alone