How to keep my 2015 Expedition going for as long as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grey2112

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Been awhile and hope all is well. Got some questions about reasonable things to do for my Expedition 2015 EL with 3.5 Ecoboost to keep it running for many years to come.

I bought it in 2016 with 32,000 miles on it. It now has 68,000 miles on it. Mostly used for towing at first (started with 8000 pound load for 3 years, now down to under 4000 pound) - no long trips (5-20 miles to ramp). We don't run it hard, and I change the oil every 5000 miles with full synthetic. Other than a brake caliper that needed replacing and an IAC assembly, it's been reliable. Had a weird electrical issue with my key fob but that's gone away now.

Given the year, the turbo engine, the miles . . . . wondering if other than continuing to do what I've been doing is there anything else I should be considering doing any time soon (or by 75,000 or more miles) as a preventative thing?

I've never done anything to the transmission (no fluid change, filter), and we did do the brakes if I recall at around 45,000 miles, but just the fronts. I have changed the air filter recently.

So, here's what I've been told by some other owners:

Transmission fluid and filter

Coolant flush and fluid

Spark Plugs

I took it into a very highly rated shop 2 days ago and they did a full inspection. Said I needed rear brakes done (10% left), fronts were at 50%, and said there were leaks showing in front and rear struts/shocks. I've not noticed any major indicators that the breaks and suspension is starting to become problematic, but then again we literally drive less than 4000 miles a year and no longer tow anything over 4000 pounds. We aren't speed demons, don't hard accelerate or stop, etc. My thoughts are to do the transmission service, coolant, and spark plugs and then keep an eye and ear out on brakes and suspension and take care of it when its starts to become a noticeable issue.

Any other thoughts and opinions?

Thank you!

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My thoughts are to do the transmission service, coolant, and spark plugs and then keep an eye and ear out on brakes and suspension and take care of it when its starts to become a noticeable issue.

Thank you!
That sounds like an excellent plan. Depending on how long you go between drives, might consider a battery tender, either plug in or solar powered.

Tom Tulloch

Reaction score
I’m interested in following this as well since my 2017 is around 87,000 now and I would like to keep it on the road as long as possible. This will probably start a large debate but I had been considering adding a catch can but still haven’t done it.

OP
OP
G

grey2112

Reaction score
Given the stains that they saw on the water pump, and the stains I've seen on my driveway that correspond with its location, I'm having them replace the pump (apparently a known failure point) as well as the two belts that have to be removed anyway to access it - why not, right? The brakes and struts/shocks can wait given us not noticing any braking or suspension issues right now, and given our low mileage usage.

Mike Islander

Reaction score
Having worked at an equipment rental place, frequent oil + filter and air filter changes will by far give you the longest engine life. Transmission isn't something I know much about, but I would say follow recommended maintenance schedule for that.

Randy Bassett

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Been awhile and hope all is well. Got some questions about reasonable things to do for my Expedition 2015 EL with 3.5 Ecoboost to keep it running for many years to come.

Thank you!
I have the same engine in a 2014. More miles, no significant problems yet.
My mechanic said one of the most important things, in addition to what you're doing, is to make SURE to keep the oil topped up between changes. Said those twin turbos need a lot of oil (and use some), and even if the dipstick is low, but in the "normal" range, it can starve the turbos. Keep it full.
As to the struts, replace them when you have the time/money, or the ride starts getting uncomfortable.

jpritter

Reaction score
Um, the 3.5 Ecoboost engine didn't come in the Expedition until 2015. Unless you are talking about a F150, you should have the 5.4 V8.