Ignition/steering lock questions, previous owner messed up…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyhines

Reaction score
I’m new here and I have an 04 expedition, I got this rig knowing it needed a new ignition/keys programmed. The previous owner broke one of the keys off in the ignition. And not knowing the simple depress tab to release trick….pryed and hammered and completely messed up the ignition and surrounding parts. Wallered out would be correct term. I got it out eventually, put the new ignition tumbler in, and it wiggles a good amount freely acting like it is going to fall out, but doesn’t. Steering wheel is locked also. What can I do to fix this so I can start it and drive it? A buddy said I need a new steering column….I pray that I don’t need to ($$) thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to learning how to repair so I can drive it!!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does look like the upper of the column may need to be replaced. I just looked at the Dorman ignition lock replacement video to get an idea as I have yet to disassemble the column on mine. My local salvage yard wants $150 for a column so that may be an option, I needed a replacement horn button.

Sounds like a service manual or online service manual subscription would help you. In this case it would have saved time and money most likely.

Hamfisted posted links to both Ford service manuals and owners manuals here:

I use AllDataDIY, Mitchell's is another online solution.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were able to remove the entire lock cylinder by pushing the release pin there on the lock housing right ? Or you may not have it fully inserted ? Or is the retaining pin damaged as well ? But yeah, the lock shell is part of the column frame and if it's unuseable that section has to be replaced. But like Bronco said, you can find 'em on eBay if needed.

Ford Expedition Steering Column Ignition Lock Removal

2004 Expedition Service Manual Online