iPad Mini Frame - 3D printed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I had this (not original) idea to use an iPad Mini as a stereo interface (and hopefully a backup camera display someday), and so I got working on modifying a panel to make it work. It worked, but I didn't have access to the original head unit (bouncing around under the dash), and my modifications caused a slight interference that eventually cracked the filler work on the bracket. To the shelf it goes, and a new approach is drafted - a magnetically mounted removable frame. So I spent 5 or 6 days in Blender designing, measuring, redesigning, rethinking... and I finally got there:

frame_front.png frame_back.png

The slots top and bottom are for weight and cost reduction. The big cavity on the right side is for the lightning cable, and the "corner" indentations are for magnets. The back is open to allow access to the stock head unit (wife approved). There is a groove at the top for the magnetic strip from a smart cover to help hold it in. Also, reliefs for the buttons so they aren't being inadvertently pushed.

So a week later (today) Shapeways delivered to me the actual frame! It is dead on to my model as well. I could not be happier with it (unless it was already hydrodipped to match the wood grain on the interior).

frame1.png
frame2.png
frame3.png

It is a nylon plastic... very coarse feel to it, but I will do some finishing work on it. I'd like to get it hydrodipped wood grain to match the dash, but finding the right pattern has proved challenging. Maybe a leather wrap to match the interior, but that might look funny on the dash. Either way, it needs UV protection.

I'm stoked to get working on it! I have plans for a smooth contact connection for charging (no cables hanging out) so I bought a replacement panel for the dash (storing the original for resale... its the classic car guy in me I guess) to drill tiny holes in.

:):):):):)

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good.

You can buy different cosmetic wraps on ebay - I guess to make it look good you'd be committed to wrapping a bunch of different parts of the interior.

Interior paint as an alternative?

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The interior is wood grain and silver metallic. Wood grain is possible with hydro graphics, just gotta find a matching grain, which I have been thus far unable to do.

I did start soldering up the electrical connectors. It's a pogo pin and flat target set up. Cordless setup. See below
image.jpeg

Gabriel Gartner

Reaction score
Congratulations, it was perfect. Could you share the file with me for a 3D print? I want to adapt the ipad in the panel of my car and this base would be ideal. Thank you!

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Outstanding!

Proud of you! I seriously mean that. There are a bunch of guys who have done this at home (made their own) and they deserve kudos for the umpteen hours spent perfecting them; but you perfected it on a computer screen, sent it to a sub to build and received a perfect fitting product. Do you have any idea as to how many companies phucker that process up on a day to day basis?? It is almost unheardof to get it right the first time!

Now have 100 of them printed off and start selling them in the ‘For sale’ section!