Issues removing the OEM "spring seat" when installing Bilstein 5100s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Am ready to bite the bullet and install these on my 2019 Expy. However, I read that they require reuse of the OEM spring seats, and that there is some controversy as to whether the spring seats are removable or welded on.

Someone wrote in a prior post: "I took it to the Ford dealership to have them installed and they are telling me that they are unable to reuse the spring seat from the original parts."

Has anyone had issues swapping their OEM struts for Bilsteins? Or was it pretty straightforward? I will have this done at a mechanic, but want to be sure it's ok to proceed.

Thanks in advance!!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do them yourself, BE CAREFUL with the springs. They can wound you bad..... Use the correct spring compressor!

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am ready to bite the bullet and install these on my 2019 Expy. However, I read that they require reuse of the OEM spring seats, and that there is some controversy as to whether the spring seats are removable or welded on.

Someone wrote in a prior post: "I took it to the Ford dealership to have them installed and they are telling me that they are unable to reuse the spring seat from the original parts."

Has anyone had issues swapping their OEM struts for Bilsteins? Or was it pretty straightforward? I will have this done at a mechanic, but want to be sure it's ok to proceed.

Thanks in advance!!

My question is ...are you just hoping for a stock-height, better ride?....or have you sourced some information where the Bilstein's will raise / level the Expy?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The spring seats came off mine no problem at all. Not sure what would cause people to have issues, maybe if they were old and really rusty or something.

I also am really happy with the bilsteins. I use/have the OTC clamshell compressor and it worked great. Make sure to lube the screw and friction points and I used a big impact gun on it, works great. The springs are thick and the compressor was tight to get on the springs. I kept mine at stock height.

OP
OP
J

jastevenson

Reaction score
Thanks all!

To answer the question above, I am replacing my stock shocks because the ride is awful (I posted on this in the pst, but basically I think there is something wrong with the shocks because my Tahoe rode 10x better, and other Expeditions I’ve been on also ride better). Not interested in lifting, just better ride quality!

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all!

To answer the question above, I am replacing my stock shocks because the ride is awful (I posted on this in the pst, but basically I think there is something wrong with the shocks because my Tahoe rode 10x better, and other Expeditions I’ve been on also ride better). Not interested in lifting, just better ride quality!

Thanks for the clarification Jay. I've been quite happy with the ride on my new Expy, but have some notions about lifting slightly and putting bigger tires (perhaps wheels, if necessary) on it when these factory shoes wear out.

Good info. Bilsteins have always rocked (had 'em on my Duramax).

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As above, I had no issues removing the mounts on my old shocks and fitting them to the Bilsteins, also love the way the expy handles with the Bilsteins. Hope you are pleasantly surprised by the ride.

Gary

fordperfaddict

Reaction score
Is there a bilstein shock seat available to buy? My install shop was saying they wouldn’t recommend it or try it but that’s without them looking at it. Ford doesn’t sell a seat separately as it’s apart of the strut from a parts perspective