Knock Count 1 - 2012 Expy with 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrbanCowboy

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition XLT 5.4L 176K miles. I have been using an old phone as an auxiliary dashboard for a few years that is synced with my Bluetooth ODBII reader. Comes in handy.

I'm getting a knock count of 1 while driving around and it'll go up to 2 when under load, then settle back down to 1. The count is 0 at idle or when I am coasting on the expressway. It's not throwing any trouble codes for the knock count.

Any thoughts on what I need to check in order to get this addressed? I'm not detecting any other performance issues. I am getting stuck lean codes from both of my downstream O2 sensors on both banks. I'm changing those sensors next week and installing defoulers.

The plugs, wires and coil packs were replaced about 50K miles ago as well.

If anyone has any advice that would be very welcome. Thank you.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand and octane gas are you normally using in the Expy ? Try a tank of premium and see if that clears it up. A couple of bottles of Techron in the tank wouldn't hurt either.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
What brand and octane gas are you normally using in the Expy ? Try a tank of premium and see if that clears it up. A couple of bottles of Techron in the tank wouldn't hurt either.

^^THIS^^

Actually, in a '12, a couple of tanks of premium may be warranted, just to help clean out any accumulated carbon built-up over the years :)

I run a tank of 93 thru my 011 at/around each oil change (6-8K, full synth), not because it has any performance issues or knocks, but just because I think it's the right thing to do from a longevity perspective :)

OP
OP
UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I usually run a detergent every other tank or so. That could be Lucas or Seafoam (usually Seafoam). I also use Liqui Moly Fuel System Cleaner at every oil change as well. However I've only had this vehicle for a month or so. I'm going to get some premium and run that for a tank to see if that helps. Good idea.