Load leveling shocks and Weight Dist Hitch setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm about to move from my 2010 EB Expy to a 2017 Limited Expy. The Limited has the load leveling Nivomat shocks.

Right now, with the 2010 for towing I have an Equalizer WDH. The 2010 also has Sumo spacers in the rear shocks. Question I have is when I move the WDH to the Limited, what are the chances I don't have to make changes? How will the WDH play with the load leveling shocks? And going from the V8 to the V6 turbo, will the weight be drastically different in the front end?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The WDH won't have any issues with load leveling shocks, but the WDH needs to be configured properly. Measure the front fender gap to the ground before and after you hook the trailer up. The manual calls for 50% front weight restoration, so if the front rises by 1" when you attach the camper it should be .5" rise after the WDH is hooked up. The rear will still be lower as compared to unladen, but the axle loads should be close to correct at that point. If you have the Nivomats, as you roll down the road the rear will come up a bit. As always, visit a scale to make sure you have enough weight on the tongue.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I don't have auto load leveling but have setup several trucks for guys who had trouble -- they all tried to set their WDH with load leveling ON and got horrible and unsafe results -- but the rig "towed level."

Turn the load leveling OFF when setting up your Equalizer but if it's like my move from an '07 to '17 with the same trailer and same WDH no adjustments were necessary. In your setup I expect it to be the same and the auto load leveler may take out the last 1/4" once switched on -- it's really there for load carrying not towing.

-- Chuck

Jeff Morris

Reaction score
I have a 17 EL with tow haul and the Nivomats. Would not go this way again. Per the owner's manual they require you to drive around for 1 1/2 to 2 miles between 20-25mph before attaching your weight distribution hitch so they shocks can adjust (and you do not break them). Makes sense but I pull a travel trailer and as you might suspect already, it is a real pain. The Nivomats I believe are rated to adjust up to a 4500 pound trailer but require weight distribution beyond that. I pull a 33' travel trailer at +-7500 lbs loaded. Best upgrade I have done so far are the Hellwig Sway Bars front and rear. I also run "E" rated tires for a stiffer side wall. You will most likely need to reset your equipment from scratch and adjust depending on your load and tongue weight.