Loud squeeking from front suspension!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, when Im parked or just start driving, my Expy squeeks very loud when i turn the steering wheel in any direction and or hit a small bump. I thought i read that the ball joints usually wear out and can squeek while driving BUT I dont even have to drive, i can just turn steering wheel to hear the noise. What are the common things that need to be replaced with this expy's? Ball Joints, swap bar bushings? Thanks and sorry for asking a question thats been asked a million times.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ball joints move when you turn the wheel... they allow you to be able to turn the wheel..

but also the tie rod ends will do the same thing

OP
OP
S

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ball joints move when you turn the wheel... they allow you to be able to turn the wheel..

but also the tie rod ends will do the same thing

Are the balls joints and tie rod ends hard to replace? I replaced my hub assembly, how much harder is it? I would definitely need to get alignment immediately after correct? Thanks for the help

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
My trucks ball joints squeak when i just open the door when they need greasin. Make sure you put greasable oes on if you are replacing your existing ones.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the balls joints and tie rod ends hard to replace? I replaced my hub assembly, how much harder is it? I would definitely need to get alignment immediately after correct? Thanks for the help

Do you have much experience yourself? I did my ball joints last summer for the first time, and they aren't that hard, just take some time. For the ball joints, once you get the wheel off, and the parts out of the way, I had the hardest time with getting the hub off, but it's still pretty easy. As for parts, USE MOOG. They are the best aftermarket ball joints available for our trucks, and they have greasable ball joints. For the upper control arms, you will have to buy the complete upper control arm with the ball joint already in it (then you only have to unbolt and bolt the new control arm back on). For the bottom, you will need a ball joint press that you can rent from a local auto store.
Here is a more detailed writeup for the ball joints.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/364301-how-to-replace-the-ball-joints-on-your-97-03-f-150-4x4.html

As for the tie rod, I haven't done mine yet, but they are easier to do than the ball joints, and yes you will need an alignment after the ball joints to keep from eating tires. And I don't think I would worry about replacing the hub.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tie rods are easy to do. The big thing to keep in mind is that you need to make a measurement of each side for the tie rods. What I do is measure from the center of the outer tie rod end to the center of the inner tie rod. You re-assemble the new tie rod ends and set them to this measurement, your truck will drive pretty straight without the need for an alignment.

Another trick is to match mark the bolts for the upper control arms (I make a mark straight up on the washers). This way, if you reset the washers to this spot, the alignment is going to be pretty close.

Tie rods are easy. IF you have a lifted truck, don't even have to pull out a jack. THe upper and lower ball joints are not that bad, but I would say if you are going to do one, might as well do the other to make life easier.