Neutral Tow option for 2022 Timberline that won't start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExAustin

Reaction score
My 2022 Timberline was flatbed-towed to a somewhat remote RV park (along with my travel trailer..) due to an apparent Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM) failure. Since the truck would not start, there was no way to put it in the "neutral tow" state to pull it up onto the flatbed. The tow truck operator also had no idea, so he dragged it up on plastic sleds. The operator manual only describes how to enter a temporary neutral tow state when the engine is running. Does anyone know if it is possible to put the rear axle in neutral without starting the engine?? If my FPCM replacement doesn't fix my issue tomorrow morning, I want to try to tow to a local repair shop for further diagnostics/repair. The truck is still under warranty and Ford will tow it to the nearest dealer (60 miles away in Fort Stockton TX) but a call to that dealer confirmed that they are backlogged and that they won't be able to start on a warranty repair for 8 weeks...

OP
OP
E

ExAustin

Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this: I'm stranded in the desert or on a mountain road at night, the car won't start, and I have to crawl under the truck, remove the transmission cover, remove the bolt for the neutral latch, and then re-install everything so that a tow truck can pull the vehicle up onto a flatbed (assuming that I'm carrying a socket/ratchet toolkit). Are there any Ford engineers that would like to comment on the common sense engineering that went into this design???

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this: I'm stranded in the desert or on a mountain road at night, the car won't start, and I have to crawl under the truck, remove the transmission cover, remove the bolt for the neutral latch, and then re-install everything so that a tow truck can pull the vehicle up onto a flatbed (assuming that I'm carrying a socket/ratchet toolkit). Are there any Ford engineers that would like to comment on the common sense engineering that went into this design???
If you have 12volt power you can get the trans into neutral via the dial.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not mentioned in this latest YouTube video about using the rotary Gear Shift Module (GSM) to enter Stay In Neutral Mode are these cautions offered in the 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual...

"If the battery discharges while in Stay in Neutral Mode, the park lock pawl solenoid releases and transmission returns to P . Do not tow the vehicle in this mode. Neutral Hold exits 30 minutes after the ignition key is turned OFF resulting in transmission returning to P ."

Fuller detail on Stay In Neutral Mode, Automatic Return To Park, and Emergency Tow Mode (Emergency Park Position Release) is contained in the Workshop Manual sections attached below as PDF documents...

Good luck!

Attachments

• Transmission External Controls - System Operation and Component Description - 2022-2024 Expedi...pdf
    418.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Emergency Park Position Release - General Procedures - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    367.7 KB · Views: 1

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not mentioned in this latest YouTube video about using the rotary Gear Shift Module (GSM) to enter Stay In Neutral Mode are these cautions offered in the 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual...

"If the battery discharges while in Stay in Neutral Mode, the park lock pawl solenoid releases and transmission returns to P . Do not tow the vehicle in this mode. Neutral Hold exits 30 minutes after the ignition key is turned OFF resulting in transmission returning to P ."

Fuller detail on Stay In Neutral Mode, Automatic Return To Park, and Emergency Tow Mode (Emergency Park Position Release) is contained in the Workshop Manual sections attached below as PDF documents...

Good luck!
Yes, this is correct. This is only to get it onto a tow truck. Vehicle should never be flat towed unless you go under the vehicle and manually force it to remain in neutral and only for emergency use only to get it safely off to the side and out of harms way.