New Struts and Lift kit parts have arrived! Need Tire size help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0627Devildog

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to put a minor lift and bigger meats on my 05' Expedition for the better part of 3 years. But, since 3 years ago my tires were in great shape I decided to wait until I needed tires.

Well that time has come, and I am ready to lift/level the old girl with 3.5" in the front, 2.5" in the rear.

(Using the kit found here Carbon Steel Coil Spacer Lift Kit Front 3 5" Rear 2 5" 4x2 2WD 4x4 4WD | eBay)

She also has turned 102K recently so while I am in there I am figuring I will replaced the struts with Bilsteins to get my ride comfort back in order.

So I have a few questions. . . . . . .

1.) While she is all apart what other repair/upgrade considerations should I be making. (i.e. Ball joints, drive axles, Hub bearings, etc. . . . )

2.) What size meats can I fit without having rubbing issues while in full flex? I am off-road often (on the beach and in the woods) and I do not want to have to trim anything. The kit claims up to 35's but I am leaning towards 33's or 34's.

3.) Can anyone tell me what size tire I can fit in the factory spare location? I have the stock tire in there now and it appears as though I should be able to fit a slightly larger (maybe 33" tire?) under there. If anyone has any insights on that I would appreciate it.

4.) Should I do RIMS in addition to new tires? Are there any advantages to moving up in RIM size from 17 to 18 or even 20? (i.e. Tire availability, tire cost, etc. . . ?

Thanks to all in advance for any information you can share.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While you are in there installing your lift kit, I would also do the upper and lower control arms/ball joints. I have 103K on my '06, and I just replaced everything up front and it rides like a new car again. New upper and lower control arms with new ball joints and bushings, new outer tierod ends, and new end links. I decided to replace the whole lower arm instead of just the BJ so I would have new bushings too. Glad I did as the bushings were getting a little brittle on the edges.
I wasn't planning on the tie rod ends, but once in there, I noticed they were getting pretty loose so I just decided to do them at the same time. Now I should be good for another 5 years or so.

OP
OP

0627Devildog

Reaction score
While you are in there installing your lift kit, I would also do the upper and lower control arms/ball joints. I have 103K on my '06, and I just replaced everything up front and it rides like a new car again. New upper and lower control arms with new ball joints and bushings, new outer tierod ends, and new end links. I decided to replace the whole lower arm instead of just the BJ so I would have new bushings too. Glad I did as the bushings were getting a little brittle on the edges.
I wasn't planning on the tie rod ends, but once in there, I noticed they were getting pretty loose so I just decided to do them at the same time. Now I should be good for another 5 years or so.

Thanks for the recommendation. . . .What was the cost in parts?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roughly $550 for everything. It was $400 for the 4 control arms, $100 for the outer tie rod ends, and $30-50 for the end links (can't remember as I bought these a while ago).

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Stoned, Replace it all while you have it apart. A little more now means a lot less later

OP
OP

0627Devildog

Reaction score
Like Stoned, Replace it all while you have it apart. A little more now means a lot less later

Totally agree, that is why I posted it. . . . . = )

I am procrastinating due to tire size selection anyway, so it will give me time to order up everything required.

Any ideas on the tire size question?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally agree, that is why I posted it. . . . . = )

I am procrastinating due to tire size selection anyway, so it will give me time to order up everything required.

Any ideas on the tire size question?

From what I have read here, with a 3/2 lift, a 35" tire will rub slightly unless a little trimming is done. 33's are the recommended unless you really want to fill the wheel well, and then 35's with a little trimming of the lower corner of the fender flare.

Jigabeer

Reaction score
my 04 EB has the same setup. 3.5 Front - 2.5 Rear. I fitted 285/70-17 (equals 34,1 inch) on stock rims. No rubbing whatsoever, after alignment ride is firm and straight as an arrow.
Stock wheels because if tire cost, comfort and mostly i trust stock wheels more then some China handcrafted wheels with no certification. Its still a heavy truck and i don't want to take chances.

Stock 17 inch rims are extremely light and durable for what they are.

I didn't replace the Shocks yet, had to pay other bills first. 95k on her and next bigger expense is Bilstein shocks and complete rebuild of front and rear suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_20140222_164700.jpg
    IMG_20140222_164700.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20140406_172052.jpg
    IMG_20140406_172052.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 236

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like a little space between the tire and the fender, that's why I would do 33's

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running a 285/70/17 AT which the tire company said equaled 33". The MT was a little taller at 33.3" I have my stock spare but then again when they put my exhaust the added another piece of metal to make sure my tire wouldn't come into contact with hot exhaust. I think you should be able to fit a 33" tire in there. But with it being a wider tire it will stick down a little lower. Im running treadwright tires which are retreads and they were about $600 including shipping. I was running ##'s with no lift and had some rubbing on the inner fender. Now with the lift rub every now and again depending on the angle the tire/axle is in.