No crank no start issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LameSuburbanDad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 Ex EB 5.4. New starter relay/solenoid (sorry, unsure of vernacular rn...the one on the firewall, passenger side.) New ignition switch under dash, and new dts on trans. Also New battery and alternator.
I have no crank, no start with the key.
The dash appears to light up normally, no theft blinking. No check engine light.
All fuses everywhere are good.
I swapped all relays with the fuel pump relay under the hood....everytime the pump would cycle, so I have to assume all relays are good too.
No crank no start when shifting through all gears too.
If I roll the key all the way forward and jump the solenoid on the firewall between the two big posts.....truck fires up.
When I volt meter the little tan/red wire on the "S" terminal (not the post itself, the wire.) I get something like 5.4 volts....not the 12v I should.
If I take a tester with 12v output and apply 12v to the "S" terminal with the key on, the truck will also start.
I do not know if it's related or not but when the truck IS running, the new alternator doesn't charge the new battery.

Any help, guidance, tips, tricks, hints, fixes, things to check, would be highly appreciated. This is not a daily driver, but I'd like it to be.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the wiring diagrams for the circuits ? From the ignition switch it has to go through the GEM module then out to the start relay. You can test the output signal at the ignition switch, but after that I would suspect a bad GEM module there at the fusebox. I think it's fuse #11 for the generator if I remember correctly. Take a look at that for your charging issue if you haven't already.

Start Circuit '99 Expedition Wiring Diagram

Power Distribution Circuit Diagram for '99 Expy

Index of Service & Repair for '99 Expy