Outlet Wires, No Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrbanCowboy

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. This one I feel pretty dumb asking about, but here I am.

So I removed a perfectly good cigarette lighter 12V outlet from my center console and installed a switch. That's the easy part. I wired the switch somewhere else, because I can't get any power from the 2 leads from the outlet I removed.

What I'm really confused about is, when I removed the outlet insert, I cut off the plug with the 2 wire leads because I wasn't going to use it anymore. Now I have no power from those two wires. I checked the fuses, and they're fine and my other outlets are still working.

I've tried grounding each one of the wires, thinking that was the issue but, no luck. I don't have any voltage on the two wires, and it was working just fine before I cut off the outlet plug.

I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas would be great at this point.

What I was going to do was wire my backup camera to a switch and use the power leads from the cigarette lighter outlet. That plan fell apart as soon as I cut off the plug thing that plugs into the back of the outlet. I ended up splicing into the other 12V outlet that is for the passenger seat. I want the camera to stay on even while not backing up, it really helps with hooking up my travel trailer.