P0022 error on road trips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppurdom

Reaction score
Last year I had P0022 & P0299 error codes on trip to Arizona from California. Drove it Locally for 1500 miles with no problems other than a little rough riding and jumping RPM when trying to floor or accelerate quickly. Hoping it was a quirk. Could have traded it in when we bought an electric car. I love its space and air conditioning on Lightning chancing trips!

So, I tried to test it again. This time made it past Kingman driving 85mph before just P0022. Cleared the code and tested to see if it popped up again climbing into Flagstaff. No new codes. Decided to chase 4 Corners and made it almost to Shiprock and P0022 came again after seeing 2 bolts and speeding up above 85mph and climbing (460 miles later)... Found a place to set-up and hope for some good bolts, knowing it was probably prudent to head back home. Had another P0022 390 miles later climbing mild hill on cruise control. Then again 362 miles later cruise control on level-ish terrain.

I don't have the knocks on starting. The gas mileage was 21.2 from Shiprock and 19.8 mph on the trip as a whole. We use to have a RTT tent and 18 mph was amazing and 16.5 was expected on a long trip (with 80-90mph speeds common). So gas mileage seems good. Need advice on how to rule out the cheaper fixes and what to do. Will the chain bust if I keep pushing it or just reset a lot. I get in hot desert areas many miles off highways on dirt roads, sometimes very rough.

Other info: The APIM is faulty and went bad 10 days after I reset the door code....which solved a weird problem that I only could get in from the passenger door side using the key to open the door. the driver door didn't work and the unlock button on the FOB didn't work until I reset the code for the door lock. The new code lasted less than 24 hours but the doors and FOB worked again...just days days later the APIM with Bluetooth, USB, etc failed. I swear the Sync (1) had a menu item grayed out like a permissions code got corrupted or switched...I mention just to hint at the possibility that an electrical issue may have some latent involvement.

Thanks for advice, Paul

Last edited: