Paint bubbling, Flaking Off and Rust on a 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave711

Reaction score
1000010422.jpg

2017 Platinum EL only ~60k miles
I've seen posts about issues near the roof rack or near the gutters, but I've just come across this large spot just above the rear most windows on a nearly vertical surface. I'm assuming this is factory paint as I have no reason to believe that there was ever a repair done here. I assume there's no chance of anything Ford would do to fix this, but I did buy this CPO (doubt that means anything). I don't have the time, tools or skill to fix this myself. I can see another bubble a couple of inches above this one. Is this a sign of something worse and getting this fixed properly a losing battle?
1000010423.jpg

Woodwolf

Reaction score
This is a strange picture. Paint booths flaws or insufficient pretreatment paint failures look different unless worked on (like here)
looking closely at the picture it appears that the bowed parallel stripes towards the gutter are handmade at some point after painting. Also the orange (I hate this word) paint patch looks foreign to me as traditional electro/or base coats are grey.
If you find more blisters that is typically a sign of a bad pre-treatment or degreasing of the body in white. This happens per example in badly run and supervised OEM paint shops at re-start after weekend or other shut downs. The brotherhood responsible for replenishing chemicals etc. and bring the pretreatment and paint up to operating temperature before shift start dropped the ball. The first cars of the line then have a crappy paint job until the system stabilizes. Same for curing ovens. This was in my time a huge problem at the big three and may still is at some assembly plants. These are the cars you see with “two tone” paint on hood or roof because of peeled paint and your pictures indicate similar manufacturing defects.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
View attachment 81859

2017 Platinum EL only ~60k miles
I've seen posts about issues near the roof rack or near the gutters, but I've just come across this large spot just above the rear most windows on a nearly vertical surface. I'm assuming this is factory paint as I have no reason to believe that there was ever a repair done here. I assume there's no chance of anything Ford would do to fix this, but I did buy this CPO (doubt that means anything). I don't have the time, tools or skill to fix this myself. I can see another bubble a couple of inches above this one. Is this a sign of something worse and getting this fixed properly a losing battle?
View attachment 81860
See my write up above. Have these patches fixed , especially if the root cause was a scratch or bad repair to avoid filiform corrosion in the future. You can try if Ford repairs this for you.