Parts needed to change lead frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryantlq

Reaction score
I recently brought a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited from my sister. She is the original owner and always had scheduled maintenance performed at the selling dealer. It has roughly 156k miles on it. They were having a few issues with it including what was diagnosed by their servicing Ford dealer as needing a new lead frame in the transmission. They elected to not have it fixed and sold it to me at a great price. After watching some videos on the repair i feel I can do the work though I may end up taking it to an independent repair shop I sometimes use. Not sure if I want to crawl under it without the use of a lift in this summer heat. What all will I need parts-wise other than the lead frame conductor itself? The video mentioned to replace an o-ring and a seal I believe. I would think changing the screen would be a good idea. Is there another filter that should be changed? Also what about the gasket about the valve body? Any recommended parts numbers would be helpful I will only be using Ford Motorcraft parts.

proftomda

Reaction score
How technically proficient are you? This is a rather in depth dive into your transmission. Fordtechmakuloco has a detailed YouTube video describing this repair with a complete parts breakdown.

OP
OP
R

ryantlq

Reaction score
I work on machines (gearboxes, robots, mechanical brakes, hydraulic and pneumatic pumps and cylinders etc) at work and am also a machinist. Having said that I’ve never opened an automotive transmission and I don’t have access to a lift. I’ve watched several YouTube videos and the replacement looks pretty straightforward. Obviously it would be easier to do with a lift but was wondering if anyone has performed this repair with a vehicle on jack stands in a driveway. I just got the new lead frame from the Ford dealer and am just wondering what else I’ll need or should replace while I’m in there.

OP
OP
R

ryantlq

Reaction score
Great video you referenced btw. Thanks for sharing. I just order the bulkhead gasket, new filter and the connector seal. Looks like that’s I’ll need other than ATF to complete the job. Any suggestions on which fluid Ford is recommending for this transmission now?

f150dave2002

Reaction score
Check the manual for fluid replacement, most likely is Ford Mercon LV like ford tech said in his video. I would add getting a mortar mixing tray from Home Depot or similar home improvement to capture the fluid. Get ramps or wood blocks to get it up 8-12inches more ground clearance to get under it to comfortably work and cardboard… makes it more comfortable for your back, easier to clean up and to find tools or parts.

f150dave2002

Reaction score
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

OP
OP
R

ryantlq

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advice. I haven’t checked the owners manual yet for the recommended fluid but I know that from time-to-time those Ford updates their fluid recommendations years after they are printed in the manuals. PS. Does the baby come with the mortar box from Home Depot?