PATS system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb1019

Reaction score
Ok this is the problem im having for no starting, got a new set of keys made, checked all the fuses, and the scan from the ford dealership is saying that the computer is not communicating with the rest of the system, It takes a few minutes for the gauges to move, Dealership saying possible bad cluster cause of PATS module built into it? Theft mode flashes fast, then slower after a minute or two. Ive replace the main computer behind the passenger dash once and made no difference, Has anyone have a Idea about this issue? Do I need to buy another gauge cluster or not,

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go tothe wreckers and get a pcm ( computer, instrument cluster, pats transceiver, and 2 keys) these have to be from the same year and engine size Expedition. Now this is if it cheap enough. If one of the items above is changed, the pats system is triggered and has to be reprogrammed each time. These items are married together at the factory and you just can not change one item, Pats shuts down the fuel system or sometime the starting sequence as well.

If the cluster is changed and the pcm reflashed and still you have the same issue, then theysuggest the pcm, then they suggest the pats and so on. Each time needing a reflash. This why I suggest one from a parts vehicle or wreckers. I have an extra set for the 4.6 and the 5.4 with keys too. If you see it at the wreckers, a hundred dollar billis waaaaaaay cheaper than paying a stealership.

just my .02 pennies worth

OP
OP
Johnb1019

Johnb1019

Reaction score
if I get another gauge cluster and get the dealership to reflash that and the pats system would that work? I just had a new key made and programmed to the Pats on the steering column

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There can be multiple causes for no communication between the electronics. Failed pcm, failed cluster and/or wiring issues. Without diagnosing the cause you are just tossing parts at it until you get lucky or give up.
By your first post you are implying the dealer programmed the new key to the pcm. If they suspect a failed cluster they you also have the option to send the cluster to a third party for testing/repair. Google "ford intrument cluster repair".

Last edited: