Payload Expedition w/tow package 2023-2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donnaz

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing an Expedition with heavy tow package as a daily driver and to tow a travel trailer (5500 dry and 7,000GVWR). We need lots of payload. I saw that some people are getting in the 1800's and a few in 1900's for payload. What models are you finding that on? Ideally I just wanted a blue, basic XLT with the heavy towing package. They only have it around here in the Limited and higher level trims with the blue and heavy towing, but I am afraid of all the extras eating up the payload. Before I go out and look at all the payload stickers on the lot, can someone let me know of the models you have with 1850 or higher payload. I am looking at years 22-24 with the towing capacity of 9,000 plus.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
having spent a lot more time than I should have studying that spreadsheet: you’ll want four wheel drive, HD tow, and no panoramic sunroof. Four wheel drive increases the FAWR, HD tow increases the RAWR, and the panoramic sunroof weighs about 150-180lbs more than the standard roof. Trim level differences are pretty much in the noise…

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
In the spirit of "there's no free lunch" with Cargo Capacity and Maximum towing capacity (9200 pounds in my 2017 XLT) note Max towing capacity is only only valid when the SUV is empty. It's a best case number.

Actual towing capacity is the maximum capacity minus the weight of passengers and cargo other than a 150 pound driver. Example: Putting 1500 pounds of cargo/passengers inside my truck instantly reduces this to 7700 pounds.

You can get maximum towing or maximum cargo -- but not both.

-- Chuck

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
having spent a lot more time than I should have studying that spreadsheet: you’ll want four wheel drive, HD tow, and no panoramic sunroof. Four wheel drive increases the FAWR, HD tow increases the RAWR, and the panoramic sunroof weighs about 150-180lbs more than the standard roof. Trim level differences are pretty much in the noise…
I'll just add that you'll be looking for/also want the MAX instead of SWB due to the 28.1 Gallon fuel tank... SWB is much smaller, killing your range when towing. The limited special editions and stealth trim did pretty good with payload even with the sunroof. With 2nd row captain chairs you get a little more payload also...

A MAX 4x4 with HD tow, 2nd row captains chairs, and no sunroof...

Good luck chasing that spec!

C Trost

Reaction score
My ‘20 XLT w/ HD tow, cargo capacity is 1676lb with GVWR of 7450lb and GCWR of 15,500lb. Max tow 4x4 is 9200lb, leaving 6300lb for the Expy. Your 7,000 lb GVWR trailer and a 7450lb expy = 14450. Good to go. I think the Expy Max has a 100-150lb more cargo capacity. The tow cap however is 200 less at 9,000lb and GCWR is the same at 15,500lb.