Power-fold mirror goes too far [SOLVED]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bret K

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the passenger side mirror where it'll fold too far forward when I "open" it. Instead of opening up about 90 deg, it'll go to about 135 deg. I've tried the reset referenced everywhere, and I can feel it click into whatever the placeholder inside the assembly is, but no change. I'm pretty sure its not the gear that others have run into. It's more there should be a stopping point, but the motor continues on and pushes it all the way forward.

When I hand-adjust the mirror, I can feel it pop into its placeholder, but that placeholder is out of position. Is there a way to adjust that? I'd rather not replace the entire mirror.

mirror.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bret K

Reaction score
So, I solved this accidentally, but its definitely not an intuitive solution.

As I stated above, the mirror would "click" into place in the closed position and when I would open it, it would open too far. It was still in the "clicked" position-holder inside the mirror assembly(for lack of a better term). Motor works fine, gears are not loose or broken. Resyncing, as explained here:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/exterior/mirrors/how-to-reset-power-folding-side-mirrors.html

did not solve the issue. Again, it clicked the mirrors into the placeholder, but still opened too far.

On a whim, with the mirrors in the closed position (0 deg), I rotated the mirror off of its placeholder to about 20 deg, so its "floating" between placeholder lock-in points. Then I hit the opener. The mirror opened to its proper location and held until the placeholder locked in. You can hear it click pretty loudly as described in the video. I don't know why it stopped in the proper location, but it worked. I've tested and used it about 4 times since and it's holding there. And it is locked into the placeholder, not sliding free. Again, with the mirror closed and locked in, it would rotate too far forward every time. Now, its locked in but rotates to its proper position.

Hope this helps.

2017Exp

Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem on my 2017 Exp. Usually happens when it is cold out (-20C or so). One or both of the mirrors will over extend. I have tried physically opening them and then power closing them to resync. Also tried physically folding them in and then power folding them in until they click into the placeholder. Still does not fix the issue.
This has happened 3 times at least. Each time after fiddling around with them, they magically start working again. No common solution that I can determine.

My question - what stops the mirrors when they reach the proper position? Is there an internal stop? Is there some position sensor?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.