Power liftgate timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stepstephenson

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with a power liftgate. Can anyone tell me what your timing is when you press the close button just inside the liftgate? It seems recently that its closing too fast. I almost have to run out of the way before it closes. This morning I think I got a concussion. lol Does yours wait until after the chimes stop to close? Mine begins closing after the first chime. Thanks for your help!

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an 08 with the lift gate. Mine will do the series of chimes and then start to close slowly. You make it sound like yours is almost slamming shut. Mine never is making the chimes and closing at the same time and never quickly. Sounds like an issue with the actuator/hydraulics. '11 should still have warranty, have dealer take a look.

Last edited:

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
My '08 chimes once, then begins its descent, while chimes continue. I would not call it fast.

The power hatch on my '11 Lincoln MKX is much faster, and also begins its descent after one chime. On that one, I do feel the need to duck out of the way.

EricH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine chimes a couple times and then starts to close.
It is actually perfectly timed to allow me to push the button and then back straight out without having to duck.