rear a/c blows warm, front works great, not blend door.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhamilton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today I realized that my rear air was blowing warm when a/c was on and on max. Its not the blend door because I changed the selector to hot and it got hot, and the fact that the selectors have been on the cold setting since winter ended. Front a/c works great, super cold. What else can it be?

I saw some posts about the rear evaporater core. Where is this located, how do I get to it and how do I check it?

Any other suggestions for me to try?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bhamilton

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 2003 XLT w/ the 4.6L. Manual Air controls.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was blowing two choices...warm or hot. So I replaced the rear expansion valve ($20 on ebay) and it fixed the problem.

OP
OP
B

bhamilton

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I took it to my local Midas shop and had them re-charge it. Said it was a bit low. Went back and had them check for leaks. Found a very slight weeping out of the front condensor.

A/C is now freezing cold both up front and in back after the re-charge while moving. However, when idling, rear will blow warmish. Any further thoughts?

Also, I have a question about replacing the rear expansion valve. How do you do this if you have to evacuate the refrigerent to do it?