Rear Brake Lines and AdvancTrac light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been some time since my last Expedition Project, but I am at it again. Was hauling a trailer with framing lumber and got a Low Brake Fluid light. Got the wood and trailer home, only to find my gas tank soaked in brake fluid. Looks like it's time to do the rear brake lines. Dropped the fuel tank before, changed the fuel pump a couple of times. (going on 300K miles)

The question: Should I change the ABS brake/advance TRAC module? I have been stuck with the AdvancTrac light for about 2 years. The scanner says it can't communicate with the module. Purchased a replacement (used) couple of years ago when I found one online because I couldn't find one in a junk yard anywhere. Since I need to replace the rear brake lines, now would be the time to do the ABS module, bleed the system, and see if the new one works. Or, I could just do the lines and continue to live with the light. One more bit of information. I did do all the point to point checks and it doesn't appear like I have a bad wire or connector, but I can't get anything to communicate with module. I could replace it and still be in the same boat with no communication or I could hope this solves the problem.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now really is the time to swap the ABS module and if you're like me, you'll always wonder about it if you don't swap it.

Can't you connect the wire harness to the replacement module to see if the scanner can at least see it before going through the rest of the brake line work?

The light being on all the time would drive me nuts.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Should I change the ABS brake/advance TRAC module?
Yes you should, because it can cause/send error signals to other parts of the system that will drive you nuts until you figure out why it's happening, and that you could have saved yourself a lot of headaches if you had just done it sooner :)

Been there, done that, with some other things (electrical stuff)

Now really is the time to swap the ABS module and if you're like me, you'll always wonder about it if you don't swap it.

Can't you connect the wire harness to the replacement module to see if the scanner can at least see it before going through the rest of the brake line work?

The light being on all the time would drive me nuts.
^^THIS^^