Rocker arm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
Greetings, can anyone tell me on what year model Ford started using the rocker arm/roller followers with the smaller holes? We thought we saw a video that made us think our 2013 Expedition, 5.4L 3v SOHC should have shipped originally with the small hole version. However, when we pulled the valve cover we found them all to be the large hole version. (And #7 had escaped & was having a party jumping around in there...so we have pulled the cam & will be buying new innards this week to put it back together).

sboychuck

Reaction score
I believe the redesign was never implemented on assembly line engines. I believe it was designed and implemented in maybe 2019 or so? Not sure about the date though.

OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
Thanks!
Is there a difference in part numbers ? Is the hole size maybe?
3L3Z6564BA
And
3L3Z6564A

OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
I verified with (multiple) Ford dealers that 3L3Z6564A is the updated one, but can't find any aftermarket that are right. The listings say "A", but photos aren't right. And some show the right picture but digging deeper makes me doubt it's right. Anyone know a reliable source for this that is for sure the correct rocker...with the small hole?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings, can anyone tell me on what year model Ford started using the rocker arm/roller followers with the smaller holes? We thought we saw a video that made us think our 2013 Expedition, 5.4L 3v SOHC should have shipped originally with the small hole version. However, when we pulled the valve cover we found them all to be the large hole version. (And #7 had escaped & was having a party jumping around in there...so we have pulled the cam & will be buying new innards this week to put it back together).
How many miles on your expy when the rocker failed? What symptoms?

OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
In February, At about 120,000 miles I experienced what I expected was a timing slippage. When we were listening for sounds there was suddenly a random loud ping/clunking noise in the right side of the motor. We shut it off & had it towed to a garage. Mechanic confirmed timing issue & $5000 & 3 weeks later I got it back & was driving home from shop when random loud ping started again. Mechanic said it was debris in catalytic converter system & it might blow itself out & wasn't a problem. Said we needed all new plugs & coils. We changed all 8 of each and it didn't fix noise. We pulled the valve cover & husband started wiggling the rockers & the #7 fell out into his hand. I've attached pic..it was pretty chewed up.

So it's been parked since March & due to weather & our 65 year old bodies, we finally got the cam out yesterday. I just ordered new cam & bolt, rockers & Lifters, so hopefully this weekend we can start reassembling!

Attachments

• 20240812_173633.jpg
    20240812_173633.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8