Shifter feels weird, no PARK indicator, key will not come out of ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Wales

Reaction score
17 XLT 3.5 67K, wife's vehicle. She just mentioned it tonight. Shifter feels like something is interfering with shifting below D. It works - justs feels like something is in the way. Truck doesn't register "P" when shifted into park and the key won't come out.
Is this a known thing? Thanks for any ideas.

eta: I saw a youtube vid that showed a broken plastic part - I'm thinking that may be my prob.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17 XLT 3.5 67K, wife's vehicle. She just mentioned it tonight. Shifter feels like something is interfering with shifting below D. It works - justs feels like something is in the way. Truck doesn't register "P" when shifted into park and the key won't come out.
Is this a known thing? Thanks for any ideas.

eta: I saw a youtube vid that showed a broken plastic part - I'm thinking that may be my prob.

Others have posted on this forum regarding problems with the shifter that is used on the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models.

One member even posted pictures of how he fabricated a metal part to replace the broke plastic part.

Some have posted that even though the lever is placed in the park position, the chime will sound when the LF door is opened (engine off), as the computer thinks the car is not in park.

You will probably have to replace the shifter assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoodemoot