Shocks, Sway Bar... or Both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bocabimmer

Reaction score
I've got just shy of 80,000 miles on my 2021 Expedition Limited. On roads with a choppy, washboard type surface when my kids talk in the back rows you can hear their voices affected by the bouncing in the back end. Shocks don't appear to be leaking fluid, but at this high of mileage I have to wonder what's left of their serviceable life. I've been reading a lot here about people doing the Hellwig sway bar upgrade. This intrigues me too. Any thoughts on which would be more likely to smooth out my ride in the back?

OP
OP
bocabimmer

bocabimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was hoping to hear that the sway bar alone magically cured everything. Probably still going to do it just to lock down the handling.

VCFP153

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was hoping to hear that the sway bar alone magically cured everything. Probably still going to do it just to lock down the handling.

I mean...a sway bar is not about ride quality (at least not directly), its job is more regarding lateral control (hence the name).

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean...a sway bar is not about ride quality (at least not directly), its job is more regarding lateral control (hence the name).

In fact, a sway bar could negatively affect ride quality as it physically connects the left and right control arms.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In fact, a sway bar could negatively affect ride quality as it physically connects the left and right control arms.

Before I replaced the rear struts, my Expedition would launch passengers into the air over sharp dips. I just added the rear strut bar and didn't notice much degradation in ride quality, but the handling is substantially improved.