Strange electrical problems after hurricane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
Hi all. Fairly new here but I have posted once before. I live in New Orleans. Just went thru hurricane Isaac. My 2004 Expedition 5.4L EB, which I have had for six months, has worked fine up until the time the hurricane hit. Once the storm had passed, we got into it to drive around and get more supplies, and the "check charging system" light was on. Random weird things began happening; i.e., all gauges at zero, alarm going off when the keyless unlock button was depressed, gear shift wouldn't move out of park, engine wouldn't turn over but made a ticking sound, as if a switch was turning off and on, truck would start one time but not the next, and would sometimes only start when the truck was in neutral. Now the truck has to be manually locked. Husband finally got it running long enough to drive it just around the block, and it died as soon as he pulled up to our house. He jumped the truck off of his truck, but it didn't help, and he took the battery out of his truck and put it in mine, but that didn't help either. He said he tested the alternator (he told me how but I can't remember) and said he didn't think that was the problem.

He is fairly mechanically inclined and certainly knows how to replace a battery and has always replaced the alternators in our trucks, but he says he doesn't think it is either and thinks it's something electrical.

I have found several threads on different websites regarding leaky windshields and water getting into the GEM, and problems with fuse boxes. I would like to try to narrow something down to help my husband out, because he wants to try everything he can before we take it into the shop. Possibly of note - 1. For the last few months, sometimes when I turn the ignition it takes a few seconds before the engine finally turns over and the truck starts. I only notice this during the day, and more specifically, around lunchtime, though I don't know how that could be of any significance. 2. As mentioned, this truck just sat through a hurricane in my front yard, and though I do not think it got flooded, there was driving wind and heavy rain continually for three days straight. 3. I have discovered a discoloration on the headliner around the moonroof that wasn't there before the storm. It looks as if it is wet, but doesn't feel wet to the touch, though it would have had enough time to dry. 4. Just had the AC compressor replaced, and now the rear unit solenoid has gone out. I did happen to find a thread that suggested electrical problems after bad solenoid, but not sure this is what is happening here.

Appreciate any help you can give.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hi all. Fairly new here but I have posted once before. I live in New Orleans. Just went thru hurricane Isaac. My 2004 Expedition 5.4L EB, which I have had for six months, has worked fine up until the time the hurricane hit. Once the storm had passed, we got into it to drive around and get more supplies, and the "check charging system" light was on. Random weird things began happening; i.e., all gauges at zero, alarm going off when the keyless unlock button was depressed, gear shift wouldn't move out of park, engine wouldn't turn over but made a ticking sound, as if a switch was turning off and on, truck would start one time but not the next, and would sometimes only start when the truck was in neutral. Now the truck has to be manually locked. Husband finally got it running long enough to drive it just around the block, and it died as soon as he pulled up to our house. He jumped the truck off of his truck, but it didn't help, and he took the battery out of his truck and put it in mine, but that didn't help either. He said he tested the alternator (he told me how but I can't remember) and said he didn't think that was the problem.

He is fairly mechanically inclined and certainly knows how to replace a battery and has always replaced the alternators in our trucks, but he says he doesn't think it is either and thinks it's something electrical.

I have found several threads on different websites regarding leaky windshields and water getting into the GEM, and problems with fuse boxes. I would like to try to narrow something down to help my husband out, because he wants to try everything he can before we take it into the shop. Possibly of note - 1. For the last few months, sometimes when I turn the ignition it takes a few seconds before the engine finally turns over and the truck starts. I only notice this during the day, and more specifically, around lunchtime, though I don't know how that could be of any significance. 2. As mentioned, this truck just sat through a hurricane in my front yard, and though I do not think it got flooded, there was driving wind and heavy rain continually for three days straight. 3. I have discovered a discoloration on the headliner around the moonroof that wasn't there before the storm. It looks as if it is wet, but doesn't feel wet to the touch, though it would have had enough time to dry. 4. Just had the AC compressor replaced, and now the rear unit solenoid has gone out. I did happen to find a thread that suggested electrical problems after bad solenoid, but not sure this is what is happening here.

Appreciate any help you can give.

That would be my bet giving the driving rain for 3 days. Likely water made it in to the gem/fuse box. If any water gets in behind the dash unfortunately it follows the wiring harness right to the gem/fuse box as it is the low point.

But I would check the charging system since the code came up. Check battery voltage with car off. Should be around 12.5 volts. Car on the volts at the battery should be around 14.5 volts with light electrical load. You are looking for increase in voltage while car is running to let you know the alternator is working and also that the battery is holding the charge.

OP
OP
F

frenchqtrchef

Reaction score
Here's an update. After haggling with the insurance company and not getting anywhere, my husband decided yesterday to work on it again. Once again he cleaned the battery terminals and everything associated with the battery and alternator, and he was able to get it started this time. He tested the battery and got a "bad cell" reading. I followed him to Autozone, where they tested the alternator and got an "alternator fail" code. So we bought a new battery and alternator and he will put them in today. I know this post hasn't seen much action, but I just wanted to post an update in case someone else has this problem. My husband is good at fixing our trucks but he says he has never seen an alternator cause problems like this, and therefore assumed it was something more significant.

jbaroni

Reaction score
I live in Kenner and am experiencing the same problems. I will go to Autozone and see what they have to say about mine.