STUMPED: Vehicle Vibrates at the Pedal when Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geren111

Reaction score
I have a 2019 FEML. It vibrates hard at the pedal when braking. I have changed the rotors and pads and it still vibrates. It will vibrate when the brakes are cold and at any speed over 25. I do not hear any noise from the wheels. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 FEML. It vibrates hard at the pedal when braking. I have changed the rotors and pads and it still vibrates. It will vibrate when the brakes are cold and at any speed over 25. I do not hear any noise from the wheels. Any help would be appreciated.
When did you change pads and rotors, as there is a break in period.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also have you checked the rotors for runout and being out of round. I bought 2 sets of Raybestos rotors and all 4 had runout and were out of round. I ended going back to OEM rotors to get some that run true. While it may be a long it is a possibility.

OP
OP
G

geren111

Reaction score
Also have you checked the rotors for runout and being out of round. I bought 2 sets of Raybestos rotors and all 4 had runout and were out of round. I ended going back to OEM rotors to get some that run true. While it may be a long it is a possibility.
I have not checked them for runout. I will have them checked. Thank you for the suggestion.

OP
OP
G

geren111

Reaction score
When did you change pads and rotors, as there is a break in period.
I had the front rotors and brakes changed a couple of weeks ago and I just changed the back rotors this week. I had some vibration in the steering wheel, which led me to believe it was the front rotors. After they were replaced the vibration continue but only at the pedal.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the front rotors and brakes changed a couple of weeks ago and I just changed the back rotors this week. I had some vibration in the steering wheel, which led me to believe it was the front rotors. After they were replaced the vibration continue but only at the pedal.
Did you pay a shop to do it? If so, they should be able to find the issue and correct it. I do my own brakes and always use OEM parts, that can be found at a discount.
I found this, which has the common reasons. I suggest to look at the parts list to see what they replaced. I can tell you from experience, if they turned the rotors, they will probably pulsate.
What Causes Pulsating Brakes: A Guide to Common Issues & Fixes

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The path is ugly… if it’s not the tires (have them road forced balanced (no other way), then rotors, the hubs, bearings, then you go to the axles, then drive shafts…. Any of those could have been hit by debris and are just a tiny bit out of balance. That tiny bit amplifies the faster things spin.

The article from @Mr Big above is really good.

If you don’t have an extended warranty it’s a money pit. May not bug you enough for the money or time to roll out versus dump cash.

OP
OP
G

geren111

Reaction score
Did you pay a shop to do it? If so, they should be able to find the issue and correct it. I do my own brakes and always use OEM parts, that can be found at a discount.
I found this, which has the common reasons. I suggest to look at the parts list to see what they replaced. I can tell you from experience, if they turned the rotors, they will probably pulsate.
What Causes Pulsating Brakes: A Guide to Common Issues & Fixes
I changed them myself. I also checked the wheels for play and didn't see any. It does not have any symptoms of bearing wear or ball joint issues above the vibration. Thank you for the article.

OP
OP
G

geren111

Reaction score
The path is ugly… if it’s not the tires (have them road forced balanced (no other way), then rotors, the hubs, bearings, then you go to the axles, then drive shafts…. Any of those could have been hit by debris and are just a tiny bit out of balance. That tiny bit amplifies the faster things spin.

The article from @Mr Big above is really good.

If you don’t have an extended warranty it’s a money pit. May not bug you enough for the money or time to roll out versus dump cash.
It has been an ugly path. I am getting the tires replaced this week and will have them check it out as well. The whole thing irritates me. Thank you for the article.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vibrating while braking is almost always 100% warped rotors. Using heavy braking on long steep down grades can warp rotors. In your case you got some bad rotors. I have learned the hard way and always now get OEM rotors or the OEM Supplier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snapbak