Tires rubbing and wheel sugestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxSoszko

Reaction score
Ok so im going to order new wheels my next paycheck and wanted to know if i got less backspacing will the tires rub on the fenders or anything?

And does anyone have good suggestions on wheels?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Max, when going to less backspacing, you run a higher chance of rubbing at the fender and back of the front wheel wells. I am assuming you are sticking with the 33" tires. As long as you are only stepping back to say 4" of back spacing (from the factory 4.5"), then you shouldn't have that big of an issue. BUt then, this also assumes you are sticking with the factory width rims. You start going to a wider rim, all the increase in width is going to occur on the outside edge of the rim, pushing the rim further out. The further out the rim is, the more likely you are to get rubbing.

Of note, if you go with an 8" wide rim with 4.5" of backspacing and a 33" tire (aka 285/75R17), you will only have to trim the front valance and that is about it (easy thing to do). Keep in mind that this assumes twisting the truck up to its limits. I ran 315/75R16's on the stock suspension and 8" rims for a month. I only got rubbing on the back of the wheel wells when I got the truck on uneven ground (say trying to make a turn while starting up a hill).

If you can, give me a little bit more detail about what you are looking to buy and I can hopefully give you a pretty good assurance as to whether you will get rubbing or not.

cavakilla

Reaction score
not to jack his thread... but what wheels do you run that are 16" would love to put some hwy tires on another set of wheels. and i have like three sets of 16's

:drool2:

OP
OP
MaxSoszko

MaxSoszko

Reaction score
Ok so i read that stock back spacing on my expo is about 6 inchs i want to to go a little bit wider. I would likely drop down to 4 1/2 inchs of back spacing ..the wheels more than likely be some Detroit wheels i will put in link what wheels im looking at...

And cavakilla im not sure what you are saying could you clarify?

( http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Wheels/306/174-7935B/10002/-1 )

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with stock wheels you can run a 35. but if you want new rims you need to stay with 8" wheels and 4.5 back spacing with no lift in order to not rub.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Max, the 03+ Expy's have the 6" backspacing, but the 97-02 Expy's only have 4.5" of backspacing from the factory. Just wanted to clarify that.

Cava, when it comes to tires, what are you wanting from the tires. Are you only needing a summer only tire, or do you need something that is more all season. Are you looking to get lots of miles out of a single set or will you settle for less miles for a smoother tire? Are you looking to upsize say a step or two for an overall "bigger tire" look?