Total Blackout/Loss of power on Interstate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wkje819

Reaction score
First post guys. Appreciate any feedback. We just had the ac evaporator replaced and everything seemed fine and operation as normal. The wife was on her way home last night from Orlando airport on the interstate when the expedition totally lost all power, shut down, no dash lights, no brake lights or anything. Thank God she was able to safely coast off the shoulder without getting crushed. After stopping, the dash was lighting up every possible error available but she had no control while it did this. After sitting for a moment it started back up and operated as normal for the remaining 30 miles home. This has never happened before. I can't help but feel like something from the evaporator replacement, which requires complete removal of the dash, has something to do with this. The computer clearly lost all power and shut down the vehicle. She's done with it after this and lost all confidence in it's safety with our 3 little ones always in the car. Unless I can find a clear culprit, I'll likely be trading it very soon. Anyone who has some insight would be greatly appreciated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First post guys. Appreciate any feedback. We just had the ac evaporator replaced and everything seemed fine and operation as normal. The wife was on her way home last night from Orlando airport on the interstate when the expedition totally lost all power, shut down, no dash lights, no brake lights or anything. Thank God she was able to safely coast off the shoulder without getting crushed. After stopping, the dash was lighting up every possible error available but she had no control while it did this. After sitting for a moment it started back up and operated as normal for the remaining 30 miles home. This has never happened before. I can't help but feel like something from the evaporator replacement, which requires complete removal of the dash, has something to do with this. The computer clearly lost all power and shut down the vehicle. She's done with it after this and lost all confidence in it's safety with our 3 little ones always in the car. Unless I can find a clear culprit, I'll likely be trading it very soon. Anyone who has some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Year, make and model?

Unless you have disconnected the battery, I would bet there are numerous trouble codes stored - which may point to a source.

Did you have the work done at a Ford dealer? I would return the vehicle to the place of repair and tell them what happened - and insist they diagnose the issue and determine if it was caused by their repair.

With all the alerts - I’d lean towards an electrical connection that was not done properly during the repair work.

Have you checked the battery and the cable connectors and battery posts? Clean and tight? How old is the battery?

Good luck.

OP
OP
W

Wkje819

Reaction score
2017 EL Limited with about 115k. Battery is less than a year old. Connections are clean and solid. Yes, we'll be in communication this week to see if the repair shop, not the dealer, has some input. I'm sure they will. I've found other threads online with similar blackout conditions but every time they say there are no codes stored.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 EL Limited with about 115k. Battery is less than a year old. Connections are clean and solid. Yes, we'll be in communication this week to see if the repair shop, not the dealer, has some input. I'm sure they will. I've found other threads online with similar blackout conditions but every time they say there are no codes stored.

The 2015 - 2017 Expedition models had a problem with the electronic throttle control (throttle body) failing intermittently and not storing a code.

There is a failure code for the throttle body - but others have reported Ford replaced the throttle body with the symptoms you had. There was a TSB regarding the matter that others have referenced on this forum, but I do not have a copy of it.

Restarting the engine resets the throttle body - but others have reported that the problem recurred with them until they replaced the throttle body.

Here is a video on how to replace the throttle body on the first generation 3.5 Ecoboost engines: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4CX8sNUns