Tow/haul vs manual mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpagolfnut

Reaction score
I have just been using tow/haul drive mode but was wondering if when driving in the mountains I should also use manual transmission mode. What combination do you use? New to expeditions and not sure.

klaus2014

Reaction score
+1 to what @JasonH said. I turn on tow/haul and lock out 5 & 6 on my '17 (I stay below 60mph while towing). At 55mph the RPMs stay around 2200 which gives ample flow for the coolant, oil, and transmission pumps to cool things down. Haven't had any overheating issues towing our 30ft camper through the western mountain ranges during the summers.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What Randy just wrote. I run Tow/Haul even in non-tow driving in the eastern mountains as "Taking my foot off the accelerator, as in when starting down a hill, automatically causes it to downshift" just as if my trailer was on the back. Cruise control functions similarly and keeps the speed even downgrade.

The transmission works just fine in Tow/Haul. If I remember. Works just fine in normal mode when steep downgrades usually remind me to squeeze the button. No reason to ever lock out the higher gears for any reason I've experienced but there must be some or the feature wouldn't be offered.

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't bother to lock out the top gears. Taking my foot off the accelerator, as in when starting down a hill, automatically causes it to downshift.
Locking out the top gears reduces boost. Helps reduce issues with the engine running too hot by increasing RPM and using the gears instead of boost. I think too much towing in top gear warped my manifold.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Umm boost is tied to rpm. Locking out gears would increase rpm vs up shift.

Locking out gears keeps drivers from driving to fast

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Umm boost is tied to rpm. Locking out gears would increase rpm vs up shift.

Locking out gears keeps drivers from driving to fast
Not entirely correct. Run the engine at 4k going downhill and see how much manifold pressure the engine is generating. The answer is probably close to zero because it doesn't need any to maintain speed going downhill. RPM and boost aren't fixed like RPM and speed in a specific gear. When you use a lower gear, the engine actually sees less load, so it doesn't drive the turbos as hard despite operating at higher RPM. If you hook up an OBD monitor you can see the relationship. The turbos actually generate less manifold pressure in lower gears to maintain highway speeds.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time I've heard of this. Any more I can read on this?

-- Chuck
It's been covered ad nauseum on the F150 forums. Comes up frequently for years now.