Towing at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mescobar350

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2 horse trailer for our 21 Expedition. It gets up to speed with absolutely no problem weighing in around 5-6k. But at highway speeds of 65-70 it seems to run hot and a ton of boost to maintain. I put my scanner on and at 70 I am running 215 degrees (engine temp), trans 205 but maintaining about 5-8psi of boost. Is this normal?
I feel like my trailer is dragging me the way the doors are (the rear doors do not sit flush and look like they would cause major drag). But this is the first time I have towed in 25 years without a dually. Are these temps and boost numbers appropriate? I will mention that within about 5 minutes of towing in stop and go temps fell to 185 almost immediately.
First time poster. Be kind :)

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try locking out the top two gears. In the taller overdrive gears you're going to run more boost while towing at those speeds. More boost and lower RPMs means more heat.