Upper control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2nd Expy

Reaction score
I'm replacing the upper control arms of my 2005 Expy and am having trouble getting one of the bolts out. Left side, bolt closest to the front...when I try to slide it out after getting the nut off it hits the coil spring. Anyone ever run into this? How did you get around this?

cdherman

Reaction score
When I swapped my air suspension for coils, I put the bolts in the wrong way when I replaced the upper arms. Once I realized this, it was too late, as the coils were back in.

As far as I could determine, you need to remove the coil/shock unit to get that bolt in and out. Thats what I did. FYI -- if you have access to one of those socket sets that allow the threaded bolt to protude though the middle of the ratchet, THIS is the cats meow in removing the coil/shock units.

In my estimation, it is unlikely that the shocks are OK but the upper control arm is shot. Meaning: if you are replaceing the upper arms, you have the whole shebang pretty much appart. Get it over with and replace the shocks as well.

Sounds like you have coils and not air bags. You will need to get the shocks, which are pretty reasonable and either get a spring compressor, or take it some place and have them swap the shocks out. You cannot do this without proper tools, as the springs are under compression.

Just my opinion....

11b4v

Reaction score
upper control arms

here's how I did mine,

jack up front, place on jack stands

remove wheels, brake calipers-hang inside wheel wells with wire/coat hangers.

remove front sway bar where it bolts to frame. let it rest on ground. leave sway bar connected to lower A arms. unbolting it at the extensions/lower control arm is a big PITA-again, no need to remove.

remove nut from upper ball joint. spring/coil/shock pressure should separate the ball joint from the hub assy. if not, use a ball joint fork-wedge it between the ball joint and where it bolts to the hub-bang away. you may want to use some wire/coat hangers to secure the hub out of your way after you separate.

remove lower shock bolt, remove upper shock bolts, remove shock-use a pry/crow bar for assistance. remove upper control arm.

assemble in reverse order. use a spring compressor when putting bad the coilshock.

wear gloves-lots of sharp edges in there.

if its your first time, fiqure 3-4 hours per side. first side-learning, will always take longer.

good luck