VCT Phaser Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isawred

Reaction score
2018 Max XLT we bought used 5 years ago and now has 95k miles on it. Wife had a misfire 6 weeks or so ago and a flashing check engine light but it went off before we could get it checked. Dealer couldn’t find anything, said the plugs were good as they were done at 60k or so.

Fast forward to last week, another misfire and the check engine light stayed solid on. Dealer checked today and now says need to replace the VCT phasers ($4,100) and plugs ($500). They said there is a rattle on start but I hadn’t noticed anything unusual.

Seems like others have had similar issues but is the price “fair” for a dealership? Anything else that should be replaced at the same time? Description only referenced phasers and related gaskets but I’ve seen a few other terms (I.e. solenoids) and want to make sure we’re not going to be back in the same boat if we move ahead.

19FX4Max

Reaction score
2018 Max XLT we bought used 5 years ago and now has 95k miles on it. Wife had a misfire 6 weeks or so ago and a flashing check engine light but it went off before we could get it checked. Dealer couldn’t find anything, said the plugs were good as they were done at 60k or so.

Fast forward to last week, another misfire and the check engine light stayed solid on. Dealer checked today and now says need to replace the VCT phasers ($4,100) and plugs ($500). They said there is a rattle on start but I hadn’t noticed anything unusual.

Seems like others have had similar issues but is the price “fair” for a dealership? Anything else that should be replaced at the same time? Description only referenced phasers and related gaskets but I’ve seen a few other terms (I.e. solenoids) and want to make sure we’re not going to be back in the same boat if we move ahead.
How was the vehicle acting when you say it had a misfire? Our 2019 Expedition has a check engine light that comes and goes and sometimes it has a rough idle. Usually when it’s idling rough there is no check engine light. Our phasers were replaced around 25k miles but they may be the issue again and we just passed 50k

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get an OBD reader and pull codes yourself. You can get a Bluetooth reader from Amazon or borrow a code reader from any major auto parts store. The 4th gens are known for phaser issues, but they also get misfires for plugs around your mileage, depending on whether they were regapped, or what. Call around to various dealerships and independent shops for the phaser quote. Dealerships usually have the highest hourly rates.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get THIS ODB reader, not some generic Autozone thing...

this reads *ALL* Ford module codes. my '19 has 44 different modules that the Launch finds and understands.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They call them STEALERSHIPS for a reason. Mine have always rattled and a friend up in Virginia is a service manager at a dealership confirms that many make noise at start up. And isn't considered a problem. Service departments tell people to replace them to try to drive business to the sales department.