Water gushing out of all 4 doors, this doesn't bode well when the brine starts flying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Had finally some heavy rain last night. I went out this afternoon and opened the driver door and got soaked by the rainwater gushing out of trailing edge door drain hole. I then checked all 3 remaining doors and each retained a substantial amount of water.
So the doors on my 2019 Platinum don't drain fully and will contain the the toxic and corrosive brine brine our MTO will apply to our roads pretty soon.
This has me worried and I want to take preventative measures.
I have the shop and the equipment to coat inside the doors.
But with what?
Calling on the experience of all Northerners to share with me what works to prevent the doors from eating themselves up from the inside out.
REM: only e-coat inside door

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had finally some heavy rain last night. I went out this afternoon and opened the driver door and got soaked by the rainwater gushing out of trailing edge door drain hole. I then checked all 3 remaining doors and each retained a substantial amount of water.
So the doors on my 2019 Platinum don't drain fully and will contain the the toxic and corrosive brine brine our MTO will apply to our roads pretty soon.
This has me worried and I want to take preventative measures.
I have the shop and the equipment to coat inside the doors.
But with what?
Calling on the experience of all Northerners to share with me what works to prevent the doors from eating themselves up from the inside out.
REM: only e-coat inside door

The door should drain water without opening them. Something is wrong if all four are retaining water and not draining. Is this the first time this has happened?

Do the bottom of the doors have the small, black rectangle plastic inserts for the door drains (like the 3rd generation models)? If so, remove them.

I would use the non-clasp end of a sturdy zip tie to clean the drain hole(s) you referenced.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
The door should drain water without opening them. Something is wrong if all four are retaining water and not draining. Is this the first time this has happened?

Do the bottom of the doors have the small, black rectangle plastic inserts for the door drains (like the 3rd generation models)? If so, remove them.

I would use the non-clasp end of a sturdy zip tie to clean the drain hole(s) you referenced.
The first time that I noticed on all doors, had some dripping out on driver door before.The Expedition was parked for several days all rectangular drain holes with the exception of 1 are clear. Parking spot not exactly level but doors when opened where on a little slant.
I can see that the doors must retain some liquid by the location of the drain holes and the way the aluminum is bent. So I need to first clean the doors out, dry and spray some high temperature protectant in. Not sure what will work. May have to drill some holes. Just wonder if some snow belt owners have dealt with this

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first time that I noticed on all doors, had some dripping out on driver door before.The Expedition was parked for several days all rectangular drain holes with the exception of 1 are clear. Parking spot not exactly level but doors when opened where on a little slant.
I can see that the doors must retain some liquid by the location of the drain holes and the way the aluminum is bent. So I need to first clean the doors out, dry and spray some high temperature protectant in. Not sure what will work. May have to drill some holes. Just wonder if some snow belt owners have dealt with this

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and have never had the doors retain excessive water. I have removed the black plastic items (and then replaced them) several times - but no water came out when I did.

I’d be leery of drilling holes in the door, which would break the paint on the outside and any coating on the inside.

HkChuck

Reaction score
I live in Akron, Ohio which is about 30 miles south of Cleveland. We
are in what is known around here as the secondary snow belt. Copious
amounts of salt and brine on the roads here are common in Winter. There
is a service called Z-Bart where specialized tools are used to coat the inside
of car doors to prevent their rusting from the inside.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I live in Akron, Ohio which is about 30 miles south of Cleveland. We
are in what is known around here as the secondary snow belt. Copious
amounts of salt and brine on the roads here are common in Winter. There
is a service called Z-Bart where specialized tools are used to coat the inside
of car doors to prevent their rusting from the inside.
We inserted a camera in the doors and found that the rust proofing guy managed somehow to spray little dams into the door’s retaining water.