Wonky computer or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kiteman

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition Limited 4WD. Had a weird experience yesterday - Getting off the freeway, when I tried to move, it acted like I was starting out in 3rd, barely moving. The screen was saying I needed gas (had 1/3 tank) and showed a bunch of dots and alternated a wrench symbol and a gas pump. was still able to drive a ways, then shut it off, let it sit a minute and restarted - was all OK. Ran a OBD2 scan with no errors.

My concern is we're getting ready to take a trip towing our trailer thru a remote area with little or no services - and no cell service.

Any ideas on what the cause might be - what to do?

Thanks!

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Sounds like a failing fuel pump or perhaps a clogged fuel line...but something is definitely wonky for sure :D

Probably needs a more in-depth scan to see what's actually happening, either with ForeScan or taking it to a dealer....

I definitely would NOT go into the wild blue yonder without getting this fixed....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition Limited 4WD. Had a weird experience yesterday - Getting off the freeway, when I tried to move, it acted like I was starting out in 3rd, barely moving. The screen was saying I needed gas (had 1/3 tank) and showed a bunch of dots and alternated a wrench symbol and a gas pump. was still able to drive a ways, then shut it off, let it sit a minute and restarted - was all OK. Ran a OBD2 scan with no errors.

My concern is we're getting ready to take a trip towing our trailer thru a remote area with little or no services - and no cell service.

Any ideas on what the cause might be - what to do?

Thanks!

First - check the vehicle for any stored trouble codes.

Then - check the battery terminal connectors and posts to ensure they are clean and tight. Check the condition of the battery. Age does not ensure that the battery is good.

OP
OP
Kiteman

Kiteman

Reaction score
Only have 2 trouble codes - for both CATs (replaced with new twice, errors cleared, keeps returning! Dealer cannot find anything wrong with the exhaust system!)

Thinking it's the computer or possibly the battery - just had it refuse to open doors to both keys, but was able to key unlock and start - then all worked fine!!?? Weird....

I will check the battery! Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Kiteman

Kiteman

Reaction score
Figured it might be e battery after the drivers window also wouldn't work!! Cleaned the terminals and greased them - all seems to work properly - so far!

Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Kiteman

Kiteman

Reaction score
Well, just cleaning the battery didn't solve it! Ended taking to my local Ford dealer - they got a 19N01 error. Turns out the culprit was a bad Molded Leadframe - which is in the transmission pan - plus an expensive connector. Long lead part, plus a couple days to replace - so just got it back today.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, just cleaning the battery didn't solve it! Ended taking to my local Ford dealer - they got a 19N01 error. Turns out the culprit was a bad Molded Leadframe - which is in the transmission pan - plus an expensive connector. Long lead part, plus a couple days to replace - so just got it back today.

You’re outside the campaign time limit, but Ford has been aware of this issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183669-0001.pdf