Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > General Discussion

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

General Discussion

How to Remove Door Panel?

This is a discussion on How to Remove Door Panel? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
I am trying to remove the driver and passenger door panels off an 2003 expedition XLT. I removed the two ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to Remove Door Panel?

I am trying to remove the driver and passenger door panels off an 2003 expedition XLT. I removed the two screws at the bottom, 2 screws under the trim near the door handle, and 1 screw on the rear edge. I lifted up on the power window/lock panel and removed that piece.
The panel moves up and down a little, but there is still something holding it. I didn't want to start pulling on things and break something. Does anybody know what to do next? I want to remove the outside mirror. Thanks.
MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Members

I found a pdf file at the following link on how to remove the 2003's front door just in case anyone is interested in replacing the speakers. It is a DIY install link on blinker mirrors that are available for the company........ http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000860.pdf
BikeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Did you disconnect the power window and locks? If so, it sounds like you just need to lift up and towards the door with a little bit of oomph. Make it steady, there is a plastic piece that is like a little hook that keeps the door aligned.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I read the above description and after removing the screws, which I have done, it says to pry around the door. I tried pulling hard, but the panel wouldn't come off. I went to a car stereo place and they said the door panel lifts up. There feels like an attachment around the ''sail" area. Or are there those Christmas tree plastic inserts like most other cars have?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Members

I just went out and took off the door again to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
-First, I removed 5 screws (3 phillips, 2 Torx).
-Removed the panel for the power windows and door locks, disconnecting the clips.
-Next, I went around the edges and pulled out to remove a few tension clips.
-Last I pushed up pretty hard and the panel came off. Wa-lah, in less than 10 minutes.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Originally posted by MrJohn
. There feels like an attachment around the ''sail" area. Or are there those Christmas tree plastic inserts like most other cars have?
Yeah, there is a tension clip there. If you look in the picture at the link, you can see a round hole where it goes in.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, just like that.
I've done the first 2 steps.
Where are the tension clips so I know where to pry. I really pulled hard on the corners, but nothing budged. Is there a clip in the sail area? Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Yep, clip in the sail area.

Pull the entire door towards you first. There are a couple of them near the bottom and one near the mid left side (it's easier with a clip puller, but it should be okay if you don't have one). If you go back and look at the picture in the link there is a circular hole above where the guy is inserting a tool (page 3). That is where the sail panel clip is. When you finally get them off just push up like a mutha! After you get it off, look at the odd shape of the gry clips that go into the metal, that's why it's so hard.

Last edited by BikeRider; 03-07-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the detailed description. I should be able to do it now.

The reason I'm removing the door panel is that I'm replacing the section under the outside mirror from an XLT type (no turn signal) to an Eddie Baur type (with turn signal). But to replace the lense assembly, it appears the mirror has to come off to swap lense assemblies. The turn signal wires aren't there also.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Members

That's a perfect link for you then. It's got the wires that you need coded. Just follow the non Pre-Wired steps.

Just out of curiousity, why would you change them? I personally think that the plastic amber cheapens the look of the Eddie Bauer's.