99' expedition shakes after engine cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvmagic

Reaction score
was performed.

I sprayed a foam engine degreaser and did not cover anything on my 4.6 litre engine (I guess that was the mistake;not covering). I was looking for a leak and performed this task w/out thinking much about it.

I let the engine dry for about 3 hours before I started the SUV.... it keeps shaking under low rpm's. It has been 7 hrs or so and it still does this. Should I have to wait a bit longer? What needs to be done?
I hope it's just a matter of time.

thanks in advance,

you can email me at [email protected]

~jv

4x4dad

Reaction score
Spark plug holes....

I'm not sure how the 4.6 compares to the 5.4, but if they are similar, there is a good chance that you filled up the spark plug wells with liquid. That would cause your spark plugs to foul (short out). It would require pulling the boots off of the plugs to look for fluid down there. I'm fairly sure you have to remove the coil packs to get to the boots...and worse the Fuel Injection System has to come off to get to the coil packs (on the 5.4L not sure about the 4.6)

It could evaporate after the engine is heated and running for a while. (hour or two of driving)

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.6 coil packs

I had this problem in my 02 Expy. In damp weather the coil pack (#7 I think) would misfire. Not bad enough to throw a code, but enough for me to notice.

Eventually, it threw a code and crapped out. Expys don't run well on 7 cyl.

I agree with the previous explanation. Water on the coilpacks is a bad bad thing.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
was performed.

I sprayed a foam engine degreaser and did not cover anything on my 4.6 litre engine (I guess that was the mistake;not covering). I was looking for a leak and performed this task w/out thinking much about it.

I let the engine dry for about 3 hours before I started the SUV.... it keeps shaking under low rpm's. It has been 7 hrs or so and it still does this. Should I have to wait a bit longer? What needs to be done?
I hope it's just a matter of time.

thanks in advance,

you can email me at [email protected]

~jv

i wash my engine bay yesterday and its doing the same thing its doing to you, it will go away after a couple of time of driving, water got in the holes where the spark plugs go in. but i should stop shaking soon.

sniper141

Reaction score
i wash my engine bay yesterday and its doing the same thing its doing to you, it will go away after a couple of time of driving, water got in the holes where the spark plugs go in. but i should stop shaking soon.

I did the same thing and you will have to leave it overnight to evap!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoodemoot