2000 expedition Rear glass will not latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced lower latch cable 3 years ago, but not the upper one. Today my wife tried latching the rear glass and it just popped off. Is there a way to latch it from the inside, or do I need a new latch?
UPDATE - I played with the latch and latch cable from the inside and it did latch. So, either the latch is worn out or the cable must be replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try manipulating the latch with a screwdriver with glass open. Maybe it misfired and thinks the glass is closed.
I did after putting glass down and I took the inside panel off. It latched. I think maybe it's the link that's worn out. I replaced the one for the tailgate latch, but not the glass latch.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did after putting glass down and I took the inside panel off. It latched. I think maybe it's the link that's worn out. I replaced the one for the tailgate latch, but not the glass latch.
I am curious which direction your gas struts for the glass and rear hatch are positioned. Piston rod up or down? Mine were up last time I changed them and in changing them again I see instructions for the other direction, rod down.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am curious which direction your gas struts for the glass and rear hatch are positioned. Piston rod up or down? Mine were up last time I changed them and in changing them again I see instructions for the other direction, rod down.
On mine, the cylinders for both are attached to the moving part - the glass and hatch. No definite reason for doing it that way other than that's how they were when I last changed them.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always do rod down, so water does not accumulate in them.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By 'link', do you mean the thin braided wire cable going between the handle and the lock?
Yes, exactly. Amazon sells the part that breaks on these cables, but it must be slightly modified to fit.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Amazon sells the part that breaks on these cables, but it must be slightly modified to fit.
Ok, you already knew there's an aftermarket fix costing a whole lot less than a new cable.

I used these on my Exp and F150, they fit perfectly, all the prep I had to do was clean off the remnants of the original end. And then make sure the end-piece slot was rotated away from the opening.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score