2000 expedition Rear glass will not latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EngineerMike

Reaction score
I got replacement cables (window & lift gate) at rockauto.com & they fit. After the hood hit me in the head I got an idea & replaced all gas struts on the rig at one time. Then, same logic, rockauto replacements for emergency brake cables just for p.m. Next up are window regulators cuz the plastic in those (assuming they're the cable type & not geared), can't last forever. Trying to get more good years outa the old girl. She's paid for, so some serious p.m. isn't that big a bite & she's fairly easy to work on excepting those last 2 spark plugs.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got replacement cables (window & lift gate) at rockauto.com & they fit. After the hood hit me in the head I got an idea & replaced all gas struts on the rig at one time. Then, same logic, rockauto replacements for emergency brake cables just for p.m. Next up are window regulators cuz the plastic in those (assuming they're the cable type & not geared), can't last forever. Trying to get more good years outa the old girl. She's paid for, so some serious p.m. isn't that big a bite & she's fairly easy to work on excepting those last 2 spark plugs.
Good luck. The window regulators are a PITA job (ask me how I know). IF you are doing regulators, replace lock actuators also. I have one left to do...

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am doing the drivers window regulator right now on my 2001. The hardest part was getting the three big plugs in the switch module disconnected. The plastic and metal tend to stick. Be sure to lube with CRC contact cleaner and some dielectric grease , including the plastic plug shells so you can get them out next time. The window regulator is held in by six 1/4 inch rivets and you will need to punch out the steel center of the rivets and then drill with 1/4 inch bit. Then you can remove the entire regulator that has two additional nuts each on top window pads and bottom rail. There is a shortcut method to change only the motor, but requires drilling bigger holes at the motor and fiddling around. Just deal with the six factory rivets, drill them and install new rivets, or bolts. I am doing new rivets. The window regulator in the 2001 has no cables, but the gear motor tends to fail and the rails where the bearings slide, wear out or get sticky.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck. The window regulators are a PITA job (ask me how I know). IF you are doing regulators, replace lock actuators also. I have one left to do...
My 2001 the rear lock actuators started acting up. I found the 1/4 inch rivet (black head) at the door edge had popped off and the actuator was loose. Drill out the rivet and replace. If you try to remove the actuator from inside the door and pop it off its steel spring saddle you will be cursing yourself. Don't do this. Remove the rivet. Try to fix with new rivets. The actuator probably is just fine.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2001 the rear lock actuators started acting up. I found the 1/4 inch rivet (black head) at the door edge had popped off and the actuator was loose. Drill out the rivet and replace. If you try to remove the actuator from inside the door and pop it off its steel spring saddle you will be cursing yourself. Don't do this. Remove the rivet. Try to fix with new rivets. The actuator probably is just fine.
Mine was gone, and it took me 3 hours to replace it.