2004 Expedition starts, but almost stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wondermutt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have an '04 Expedition that starts every time, but when I start it, the rpm's go up to normal idle and then quickly drops to stall and then revs right back up. It feels like it is going to die, but hasn't yet.

Does anyone else have this problem or point me in the right direction? It's an annoyance now, but I think it's a problem waiting to happen. Any help would be appreciated.

exceldetail

Reaction score
Much like your, I have a 2000 that starts, but wont idel. In other words, I can start it and while its turning over, I give it gas and it runs. As soon as I let off the throttle it dies.
Likewise, assistance appreciated.

exceldetail

Reaction score
My research shows it the Idle Air Control vale, a definite DIY'r. $60.00 at my local NAPA. Im all over it tomorrow, the car is stuck at my wifes work, lol.

exceldetail

Reaction score
Worked like a champ! $54.00 at NAPA. Removed 3 screws on throttle body cover, 2 screws on Idle Air Control valve, electrical connection, gasket. Reinstalled in under 20 minutes, although its not in the most accesible area, at the back of the throttle body under the sill. Once reinstalled and electrical was plugged in, kept my fingers crossed and turned the key. It started up in an instant, went through its hi idle temp for about 1.5 minutes then idled down to about 800 rpms and purred.....I turned it off, reinstalled the throttle body cover and 3 screws, and turned it on again. Fired right up. Left the wife the keys at her shop, and off I went!
Hassle factor: 3/5
Time: 1/5
Cost of repair vs. shop: 1/5
DIY'r job? ABSOLUTELY.

Good luck to all who are experiencing a car that chokes when it idles or will run if fed some throttle, but dies when not being fed.

OP
OP
W

wondermutt

Reaction score
Lane24, thank you for the info. I appreciate the insight. I'll give this a shot and reply back.