2007 Ford Expedition Stuck Shifter and No Brake Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexwb97

Reaction score
This problem where the shifter would start to stick started 2 days ago and hasn't gone away since. It randomly allows me to shift it into drive and is usually stuck in park right away when put in park. I just noticed today that the brake lights are not working now and I think it's stuck in park due to that. Is there anything you all suggest? I need this fixed ASAP and I'd prefer to do it myself.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuse for the shift lock solenoid. See the sticky in the electrical section on the forum for doing it the easy way & without pulling fuses.

Which type of shifter do you have, column or console?

OP
OP
A

Alexwb97

Reaction score
Thank you I'll check. The solenoid makes a distinct noise when I click the button on the console shifter, so I'm not sure that it's the solenoid, but I will check just to make sure! Thank you for your input

OP
OP
A

Alexwb97

Reaction score
Usually yes. My driveway is at an incline and even when I'm parking in a parking lot for example, the vehicle still locks up. I currently have it in neutral and the e brake is on.

Truck3

Reaction score
I just repaired this issue today on my rig.
After eliminating the fuses and solenoid associated with the circuit. I tested the connector at the brake light switch and found it to be 13.1VDC coming into the switch.
However, activating the switch gave various output readings and sometimes no VDC at all. I determined it was a faulty Brake light switch.
The switch comes out of its cute little holder by a 1/8 of a turn of the entire switch. There is a Cam-like cog on the end of the switch that corresponds to the holder hole.
Replaced it with FMOCO factory switch and problem solved. Tested it, no issues.
Hope this helps.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just had the same problem and it was the brake light switch. sounds like a common problem.

OP
OP
A

Alexwb97

Reaction score
i just had the same problem and it was the brake light switch. sounds like a common problem.

Yup. Forgot to update the thread. I replaced the brake light switch for $52. Easy replacement. Twisted off the old one and took out the connector.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on my 2007. My 2010 hasn't needed it yet but I know what to look out for now.