2007 hesitation, not misfire. Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 has almost 260k miles on it and I have a problem with hesitation while under heavy throttle around 20-40MPH. It feels like a misfire. I picked up Forscan and their recommended USB OBDLink tool. I ran a Mode 6 test and I show zero misfires across all 8 cylinders. Plugs were changes at 225k (roughly 30k miles ago). COPs appear to be original.

Further searching (here and via Google) mention a few people having similar issues due to transmission issues. Some folks change the trans fluid and it goes away. I bought this vehicle at 211k miles, and changed the trans fluid several times since then. The last 2 fluid changes have NOT used Motorcraft fluid. Valvoline MaxLife (Mercon LV equivilent) was used. I've attached my Blackstone reports for the transmission fluid changes. Other folks have fixed their hesitation by getting the transmission reprogrammed to address the 1-2, 2-1 shift issues. I still have the 1-2, 2-1 shift issues, so that's a possibility. But I doubt that the fluid is an issue. I'm due for another round of fluid change at roughly 275k (or 15k miles, or 18 months from now).

So, while I was focused on Mode 6 misfires with Forscan, what should I be monitoring (in the trans) with Forscan to point me in the right direction?

View media item 6956

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO MERCON LV!!!!!! Only use Mercon SP, LV is not recommended for your truck.

Last edited: