2017 Expedition EL heavy sway at or above 60 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leslie H R

Reaction score
2017 Exp EL. Towing 6000 lbs. Brand new Falcon Wildpeak A/T 4W. When towing I run them at 50 psi. The rig tires around 55, have yet to get the exact psi but I feel Im close. Over 60 mpg trailer starts getting a sway going. The trailer could be loaded or empty issue is the same. Ive been looking into EBS or Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution.

I feel it's the truck anyone else experience this?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tongue weight is probably too low. Add ballast to the front of the trailer or visit a scale to get the weight distribution correct.

skamerick

Reaction score
The weight distribution hitch you mentioned is an absolute necessity. I tow a 7,000lb 33ft trailer with my 17 EL and staying at 60mph I have no problems at all.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been towing with an Andersen WDH/Antisway system for 10 years. Never a hint of sway in cross winds or semis blowing by. I’m usually at 60-65 mph.

C Trost

Reaction score
2017 Exp EL. Towing 6000 lbs. Brand new Falcon Wildpeak A/T 4W. When towing I run them at 50 psi. The rig tires around 55, have yet to get the exact psi but I feel Im close. Over 60 mpg trailer starts getting a sway going. The trailer could be loaded or empty issue is the same. Ive been looking into EBS or Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution.

Weight distro is too far aft on the trailer, need more tongue weight.

bello

Reaction score

Hi All. First posting here, now on 3rd Expedition since 2011... Just retired, 53 years in Tires, Brakes, Alignment business. Been towing a Vintage Racecar since 1998 in different 20 or 24' enclosed trailers... All Terrain tires not best choice for towing...tread is usually deeper than Highway tread, lots of grooves and channels= less rubber ON the road allows "Tread Squirm" at speed, and the trailer amplifies that. 55 psi is too high- sidewalls get stiffer which is good, but the tread contact patch gets smaller, which is not good. 55 psi in the front is crazy high- makes the steering too sensitive, you can't relax and get the "white knuckle" symptoms. Unless the new tires are 10-Ply, I'd suggest 36 psi front and 40-44 psi rear. Try that and see... Last but not least! Get a Weight Distributing Hitch WITH Anti Sway System- it works! I use a HUSKY unit I've had for years, but there are many other choices out there. Good Luck! Let us know how you make out... Ernie

OP
OP
Leslie H R

Leslie H R

Reaction score
Problem Sovled: Are you all seating down? Had the caravan wheels aligned I can now drive 70 smoking a cig and mixing a martini. Kidding I don't smoke cigs. The toe was facing out they which was the problem. Thanks for all the thoughts on this.

Leslie