2017 expedition still not taking gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackie6422

Reaction score
I just put in a new evap canister, but my ford 2017 expedition is still not taking gas. I can pump about .5 gal and the pump shut off. Anyone know what I should check for next?

Pilgrim

Reaction score
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but hear me out.
On our 2008, which hates taking fuel, we found if you put the nozzle in upside down (you may have to hold it) and not too far in, it will allow us to fill it to full most of the time. Been doing this for about 4 years.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I had this problem with our boat!

I was told to begin pumping slowly to develop a siphon. After a little bit, slowly increase the flow. It sees to be working for the boat...

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put in a new evap canister, but my ford 2017 expedition is still not taking gas. I can pump about .5 gal and the pump shut off. Anyone know what I should check for next?
Is the canister vent solenoid / line working correctly? When air is displaced from the tank it flows through the Evap canister to collect the gas vapor and then the cleaned air flows out the canister vent solenoid. If that is not happening it will back up and kick off the nozzle.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a similar issue in my son's old Ranger. It was the fill tube that had broken down internally. It was a lot easier to change on that since you could unbolt and lift the bed. Guess you would have to drop the tank on this thing... If you do that, might want to consider new inside tank fuel pump also.

OP
OP
J

Jackie6422

Reaction score
Is the canister vent solenoid / line working correctly? When air is displaced from the tank it flows through the Evap canister to collect the gas vapor and then the cleaned air flows out the canister vent solenoid. If that is not happening it will back up and kick off the nozzle.
When I replaced the Evap Cannister I was complete with a new vent solenoid. So the Solenoid itself isn't the problem, could it be the line?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I replaced the Evap Cannister I was complete with a new vent solenoid. So the Solenoid itself isn't the problem, could it be the line?
Do you know if the solenoid is opening / closing? If not that could be cause. Could be the vent line or as suggested above, some sort of blockage in the filler neck. Do you have or can you borrow a borescope? If so, you can put the plastic emergency fuel filler funnel (see pic below) into the filler neck to keep the filler flap open (it is in the jack compartment under the cargo area hatch) and feed the borescope down the filler neck to make sure it is clear.

51Go62fZ0AL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jackie6422

Reaction score
Do you know if the solenoid is opening / closing? If not that could be cause. Could be the vent line or as suggested above, some sort of blockage in the filler neck. Do you have or can you borrow a borescope? If so, you can put the plastic emergency fuel filler funnel (see pic below) into the filler neck to keep the filler flap open (it is in the jack compartment under the cargo area hatch) and feed the borescope down the filler neck to make sure it is clear.

View attachment 77392
I don't have a borescope, how do I check to see if the solenoid is opening/closing?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to remove the vent hose and blow into the vent valve with the vehicle off. You should also be able to blow into the vent hose with the vehicle off. The valve is normally open / powered closed.

BTW you can pickup a cheap borescope that will work with your smartphone on amazon for $25-$45.