2019 CDF Drum replacement…didn’t fix issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiman

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 expedition Max platinum with 59k and still under warranty. Took it in the get inspected for an extended warranty and was told my shifting issues were due to needing a new CDF drum. Dealership had it replaced and back to me in a week.

The issue is that I still get rough shifting between 4&5 and sometimes 5&6. Have folks had continued issues with shifting after CDF drum replacement? Dealer told me that it takes 500 miles for the system to calibrate and get back to normal. Doesn’t seem right to me…

Was hoping the CdF drum replacement was going to resolve things. Is there a “next step” that needs to be taken?

Thanks

BP 09

Reaction score
Your dealer isn’t lying.

Are you on stock calibration? Stock calibration rarely shifts from 4-5 rather it’s usually 3-5. This shift often feels weird in any 10r80. Some of the sensation your describing is likely because of when Ford engages the torque converter clutch.

It does take a few hundred miles for the PCM adaptive to relearn the clutch apply pressures to meet the requested slip times and shift times of the transmission itself. That’s what the whole adaptive thing everyone complains about actually does. Give it time. It’s got some relearning to do because access to the CDF drum requires removal of the CDF clutches so everything got moved around.

If after a couple tanks of fuel it’s still shifting weird, get a tune from Gearhead, MPT, or ZFG and you’ll never hate your shifting again. All 3 companies can do a tow or trans only tune if you have concerns about the added power, which you shouldn’t.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If after a couple tanks of fuel it’s still shifting weird, get a tune from Gearhead, MPT, or ZFG and you’ll never hate your shifting again. All 3 companies can do a tow or trans only tune if you have concerns about the added power, which you shouldn’t.
Wouldnt this void warranties?

BP 09

Reaction score
Wouldnt this void warranties?
No. That’s a myth. I used to be a service manager so I’m pretty well versed in how warranty claims work. Unless your aftermarket warranty specifically prohibits tuning, you won’t void anything. The Magneson Moss Act protects you. But even so, you can return to stock before service. They have to prove your tune caused the issue. Which they won’t. This has been discussed on every single automotive forum on the planet. If your running a quality tune from a reputable source, your not going to have an issue anyways.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. That’s a myth. I used to be a service manager so I’m pretty well versed in how warranty claims work. Unless your aftermarket warranty specifically prohibits tuning, you won’t void anything. The Magneson Moss Act protects you. But even so, you can return to stock before service. They have to prove your tune caused the issue. Which they won’t. This has been discussed on every single automotive forum on the planet. If your running a quality tune from a reputable source, your not going to have an issue anyways.
Sorry, but I disagree with the above. Years ago this was the case and if you returned your vehicle to the stock factory tune before taking it in for service there was no issue. I know for a fact that today both GM and Ford can tell if the ECU has been flashed, when it was flashed (the last 3 or 4 times) and if it was a factory equipment that did it or other equipment (look up CRC check). If the there were modifications to the ECU and there is an engine failure, the OEM will deny the warranty repair on the engine. Same with transmission or any other component that was modified either physically or electronically.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people like to say the dealers “have” to honor a warranty even though the engine and/or transmission has been altered with a “tune”.

If a dealer tells you you have altered your vehicle and they are denying warranty coverage, that information goes into their nationwide computer system (for all other dealers to see).

The dealer does not have to prove anything to you. They simply deny the coverage, tell you, and note the reason in their computer system.

It is then up to the consumer to hire an attorney and sue the manufacturer to honor their warranty. Good luck with that.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can be right all you want, all it then takes is 15-50k in court to prove you should get an 8k trans covered.

BP 09

Reaction score
Sorry, but I disagree with the above. Years ago this was the case and if you returned your vehicle to the stock factory tune before taking it in for service there was no issue. I know for a fact that today both GM and Ford can tell if the ECU has been flashed, when it was flashed (the last 3 or 4 times) and if it was a factory equipment that did it or other equipment (look up CRC check). If the there were modifications to the ECU and there is an engine failure, the OEM will deny the warranty repair on the engine. Same with transmission or any other component that was modified either physically or electronically.

I see your point, and if that’s been your experience with your local dealers then that sucks man! But I don’t completely agree that a tune will void a warranty just because the dealer puts in the system it’s modified.

Using your engine failure example. Yes, if you throw a rod out the block running a high power tune, they have a strong case for denial. (BTW to throw a rod out the side of a gen 2 ecoboost you’d probably have to be pushing north or 550 WHP before that became a concern, Which requires a e30 tune at a minimum)

But anyways. Lets say your cam phasers fail while your tuned. There is plenty of documented issues on stock vehicles. Tuning would not cause cam phaser failure. This is a warranty claim that would not be denied because of tuning.

My repsonse to the OP about getting a tune was suggesting a transmission only tune or a moderate pump gas tune. Neither of which are going to give him warranty issues if he has a good dealer. If he is looking for drivability improvement, nothing will make a bigger difference than a good tune. But to the OP, if your going to buy an extended warranty or aftermarket warranty, read up on the requirements to maintain said warranty.

For what it’s worth, been taking tuned vehicles in for warranty work for years and never had an issue. Everything from misfires to turbo issues to transmission concerns on both fords and rams. All of which were tuned. It comes down to the relationship with your dealer in my experience. I live in a rural area where lots of vehicles are modified to some extent so maybe the dealers around here just cater better.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford’s CEO has stated his top priority is improving quality and reducing warranty costs - which were $1.9 billion in 2023.

Although I have no insider proof, I have very little doubt that Ford has instructed its dealers to strictly administer their vehicle warranties and to place a warranty block on vehicles that have been modified (such as engine and transmission tunes) that experience problems with the assemblies.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had trouble getting them to even acknowledge the running board wasn’t working properly. I believe dealers are docked for “too many warranty claims” and have an incentive to turn people away. The damn running board ****** up again as I left the dealer, who said they “couldnt duplicate” the issue that I had happen probably five times any given day.

I want no part of going in with a tune for any drivetrain problem until my ford extended warranty is history.