2019 MAX Oil Burning issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Took our 2019 MAX (40kmi) for Cam Phaser replacement 2 weeks ago. Checked the oil today and it’s a quart low! Called the dealer to see if the cam phaser fix involved replacing the oil as well, they said they always do a 6qts with the cam phaser fix. SO either the tech didn’t add the right amount of oil or the truck has a serious oil burning issue!? My guess is they added the incorrect amount? Thoughts?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took our 2019 MAX (40kmi) for Cam Phaser replacement 2 weeks ago. Checked the oil today and it’s a quart low! Called the dealer to see if the cam phaser fix involved replacing the oil as well, they said they always do a 6qts with the cam phaser fix. SO either the tech didn’t add the right amount of oil or the truck has a serious oil burning issue!? My guess is they added the incorrect amount? Thoughts?
Is there soot in the tailpipe?

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Nope, runs great no smoke. Took it to the dealer this morning and it was a quart low in 2 weeks since the cam phaser job. So either he filled it wrong, which I doubt after talking with the tech…he’s been doing it for 37 years…seems very competent. In addition he spends all his days doing cam phasers and engine work…Ford is a mess when it comes to quality…they must have insane profit margins to pay for all the warranty work and still make $?

Next step is we are gonna see how much oil it goes through in 500 miles. If it burns more than 1/2 quart, need to open up the engine and see if they’re seeping through the valves. Ford sees 1 quart oil burned per 1000 miles as within the range, which I think is a load of horse crap, I have a Toyota with 240kmi and doesn’t burnt a drop.

We’re looking to get rid of the MAX ASAP, before the warranty for sure. Our only option is going to Suburban or Yukon XL as we have a big family and need the space.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, you can't prove any of it. Fill it up to the correct level and keep an eye on it.
Took it to the dealer the morning and it was a qt low, gonna monitor for 500 miles and bring back in. If it’s out of range, another tear down. That’ll be 3 rear ends, transmission, and 2 engine repair in 40kmi…guess they don’t make them like they used to.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer the morning and it was a qt low, gonna monitor for 500 miles and bring back in. If it’s out of range, another tear down. That’ll be 3 rear ends, transmission, and 2 engine repair in 40kmi…guess they don’t make them like they used to.
Im surprised they are going to do a tear down without any codes showing. Be carefull they dont charge u tear down labor costs if they dont find anything wrong.....

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Im surprised they are going to do a tear down without any codes showing. Be carefull they dont charge u tear down labor costs if they dont find anything wrong.....
Not sure codes would pop up for burning oil. From what the tech said they’d pull the plug and look up up at the valves to see if there’s oil passing through…who knows…looking to get rid of it may just nurse it along.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Such a different story compared to my well maintained 2019. The records show synthetic oil changes with filter every 5000 miles or less. Only repairs were brakes, tires, cabin filter, air filter.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ever happened to this? Any update?

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Such a different story compared to my well maintained 2019. The records show synthetic oil changes with filter every 5000 miles or less. Only repairs were brakes, tires, cabin filter, air filter.
I’ve mine maintained mine meticulously at the dealer with only synthetic oil changes, brakes as well as tires done at the dealer. every car that I’ve had I’ve maintained at the dealer at regular intervals. Even repairs that are needed, I get done at the dealer and replace with factory parts. This may just be a bad one, just our experience so far.