3 Across Booster Seat Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody have a high-back booster that they recommend for the expeditions with 3 across? My oldest has outgrown her Britax Marathon. My goals are as follows:

1. Allow the oldest to buckle herself in. She will be in the center between the two Marathons.

2. Eventually I will have 3 boosters across the 2nd row. I have 3 kids. A singleton and then twins that are 17 months younger. They will likely outgrow their Marathons in the next couple of years.

3. Easy to remove the seatbelt from the shoulder portion. I figure this will still allow me to use the tip and slide when needed.

4. I would prefer a cup holder, but not mandatory.

@aporthole You seem to be very knowledgeable, so any advice would be appreciated.

So far I’m between the Chico Kidfit and the Maxi-Cosi RodiFix. The Kidfit has the cup holders, but RodiFix seems like it will be easier to remove the shoulder belt for tip and slide. The RodiFix also seems like it is the most likely to allow buckling and unbuckling without my assistance.

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody have a high-back booster that they recommend for the expeditions with 3 across? My oldest has outgrown her Britax Marathon. My goals are as follows:

1. Allow the oldest to buckle herself in. She will be in the center between the two Marathons.

2. Eventually I will have 3 boosters across the 2nd row. I have 3 kids. A singleton and then twins that are 17 months younger. They will likely outgrow their Marathons in the next couple of years.

3. Easy to remove the seatbelt from the shoulder portion. I figure this will still allow me to use the tip and slide when needed.

@aporthole You seem to be very knowledgeable, so any advice would be appreciated.

So far I’m between the Chico Kidfit and the Maxi-Cosi RodiFix. The Kidfit has the cup holders, but RodiFix seems like it will be easier to remove the shoulder belt for tip and slide. The RodiFix also seems like it is the most likely to allow buckling and unbuckling without my assistance.

I’ve got 2 Graco 3-in-1 side by side in 2nd row and booster next to the door. This allows easier access to 3rd row.

They all fit fine, both my boys buckle themselves and my nephew uses the booster and also is able to buckle himself.

Also allows my younger ones to watch one TV and my nephew who is older can watch his own thing.

https://justedeals.com/products/13-...ror-link-miracast?_pos=1&_sid=71af0a665&_ss=r

61efa6911a4bd0ed3eb35b86f724d66e.jpg
22721de79e30ef0d2683492ef54209b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
We use Clek Foonf convertibles and the Clek Oobr booster as it also has latch. Cup holders are not included, but you can get them separately although I am not sure they will fit in the 3-across config.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Before I even got to the end of your post and saw your 2 considerations I was going to suggest the Chicco KidFit as well as the Maxi-Cosi RodiFix. Both of them 100% work in the center seat. The KidFit is slightly more difficult to buckle but a bit more comfortable, converts to a backless booster later, and has 2 cupholders. The RodiFix is easier to buckle but doesn’t have any cupholders (and no ability to add any) and doesn’t become a backless. The Peg Perego Flex 120 should also work in the center but I haven’t personally tried it.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My last vehicle was an Acura MDX with the bench in 2nd row. Even though I only have 2 kids, I wanted narrower car seats to allow for one adult to sit passenger side second row. (3rd row in that vehicle is an absolute joke)

I ended up with 2 Diono RXT's. (One in middle, one driver's side) I could have had three across in the MDX if I wanted. They have one cup holder that can be moved to either side. It is the 5 point harness and back does not remove. Lasts up to 115lbs I think.

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
My last vehicle was an Acura MDX with the bench in 2nd row. Even though I only have 2 kids, I wanted narrower car seats to allow for one adult to sit passenger side second row. (3rd row in that vehicle is an absolute joke)

I ended up with 2 Diono RXT's. (One in middle, one driver's side) I could have had three across in the MDX if I wanted. They have one cup holder that can be moved to either side. It is the 5 point harness and back does not remove. Lasts up to 115lbs I think.

+1 for the Diono RXT. We have two in the outboard positions and a Nuna rear facing dock in the center right now. Could go 3 across RXT no problem. Our twins are 9, weigh 55-57 pounds and have no issues in the RXT 5 point. Once they get a little more height, we'll convert the RXT to a belted booster until they fit into the middle requirements for a bottom-only booster.

OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the suggestions! I think I will go ahead and try both the misfit and the rodifix.

If I don’t like either one of those, I will try the Oobr.

My wife currently has 3 across with the RXT’s in her Santa Fe sport. They work well, but we haven’t used them as boosters yet. They are also a little more expensive as they have the 5 point harness. Which as I am writing this I am thinking it probably means it is safer.

OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 for the Diono RXT. We have two in the outboard positions and a Nuna rear facing dock in the center right now. Could go 3 across RXT no problem. Our twins are 9, weigh 55-57 pounds and have no issues in the RXT 5 point. Once they get a little more height, we'll convert the RXT to a belted booster until they fit into the middle requirements for a bottom-only booster.

Thank you. With the RXT’s in the outer positions, how do you access the back seat? I think if the kids are above 40 lbs, then the seat should be secured with the seat belt. When compared to the Marathon clicktights, the RXT’s are a pain to install with the seatbelt in my opinion.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. With the RXT’s in the outer positions, how do you access the back seat? I think if the kids are above 40 lbs, then the seat should be secured with the seat belt. When compared to the Marathon clicktights, the RXT’s are a pain to install with the seatbelt in my opinion.

I have captains chairs so everyone goes through the middle... I never figured out how to use the seat forward entry with car seats

BLUWAGN

Reaction score

From the manual:

Use only with children weighing between 5 lbs to 120 lbs
(2.3 to 54 kg).

• With any infant weighing less than 20 lbs (9.1 kg), use
only rear-facing

• Child weight limits:
Rear-facing 5-45 lbs (2.3-20.5 kg),
Forward-facing with 5-point harness: 20-80 lbs (9-36kg)
Booster mode: 50-120 lbs (23-54 kg).

• Maximum heights:
Rear-facing 44" / 112cm,
Front-facing 57"/ 144 cm

• Secure the top anchorage strap provided with this child
restraint.

This being said, we're still using the 5 point harness so getting into the back is easy.

The only caveat to this is that the straps of the 5 point aren't supposed to go down past the shoulders front-facing. I think that will be the limiting factor rather than weight as the boys seem to be shooting up in height versus weight (even though they eat like two varsity football players). I might end up sticking one in the back row if the seat belts prove to be a pain but right now we don't use the 3rd row very frequently.