A/C clutch not engaging, new compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I had a shop install a new compressor several months ago. They allowed me to buy the part.

It has been working fine until I let the truck sit for several weeks (at least). Not really driving it much at all.

So brand new compressor, clutch will not engage now. I tried bumping with a wrench while running nothing happened.

I thought it was a 134 issue so after some time it took it, but took longer than usual, only one can and still not cold.

I tried to bring the compressor back switching AC on an off. No avail.

I believe it should be a connection issue but was wondering where to start.

I do not have a garage and much space to work on this bugger.

Lastly, it's under warranty but would like to avoid the labor cost of going back to the shop to replace it.

I have seen if the clutch is working with low charge it will engage and disengage too frequently - not the case her.

Thanks in advance.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Warranty work still incurs labor charges?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Warranty work still incurs labor charges?
When I owned my repair shop, if someone brought me a part to install I would tell them up front if the part fails they would have to pay the labor to replace it. I am not doing free labor on a part I make no money on.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm ok with add'l labor costs. This shop actually requests customers bring in parts and their labor rates are very reasonable.

I'm looking at the box and see a fuse 13 - 15A for AC clutch, that fuse looks fine, but looking for relay number/location? Dang can't find my owner manual.

Thanks in advance.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Richard, year, engine size, two or four wheel drive, and model please. Always include that in your original post, otherwise our electronics/ Ac experts don't have a clue where to start with recommendations.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Richard, year, engine size, two or four wheel drive, and model please. Always include that in your original post, otherwise our electronics/ Ac experts don't have a clue where to start with recommendations.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Sorry,

2001, 4.6, 2wd and xlt.

Thanks! I'll be sure to do in the future.

Update. I spoke with the a local dealer yesterday for some advice and he said low 134 pressure could not allow the clutch to engage. I added 134 just a little while ago and still not engaging.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can toss parts or diagnose the problem. You'll need a meter and a set of ac gauges to get started diagnosing.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had friend who had a similar issue. While looking at it, discovered the electrical connection at compressor was not on. He plugged it in and compressor worked fine. Something else to try is switching to DEF on control. That usually engages the compressor.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
It would be a good idea to get a cheap test light at harbor freight (about $4) to see if there is voltage at the compressor wire plug. If you have juice at the compressor check the air gap between the two clutch plates, if it's too large the magnet can't engage the compressor.